Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will the Day Come When a Big Console Maker Supports Homebrew?

Blog Entries

General games Will the Day Come When a Big Console Maker Supports Homebrew?

Aside from the GP2X which is a Handheld Homebrewers Dream but it isnt as yet a real Commercial Games playing machine, homebrew is frowned upon by the big 3 namely Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Out of all 3 Next Gen consoles the Wii could be the console that Nintendo if they were willing and smart enough to take a chance could be the system where Homebrew is made and amateurs get the jump from being bedroom coders to being employed by the big developers.

What can we as a community do to get the big companies to open a door on their consoles or even get them to release a homebrew dev kit of sorts and a way to play legally on their systems without modding etc.

Anyone got a comment or ideas ?

I think "we" as a community will be unable to demonstrate any powerful developments on any console unless we start forming some more teams of our own. Making uses of what resources we have, whether it be common geographical location, or internet based.

I think the reality is, for now, a group of individuals may be able to purchase a Wii devkit collectively and start active development pursueing a publisher, but as for homebrew for all, still unlikely. I bet microsoft will take similar steps if not the first steps towards opening it up by including some minimal support for Xbox360 in an SDK.

I would like to get together and freelance a game for the Wii, try to sell it myself/group over the internet instead of market it in-store, and see if its possible.

If homebrew wasn't a shady half cousin of piracy, they would have already done it IMHO.

Default About the GP2X...

The GP2X is described as a homebrewers dream. Is it that good?

Honestly, with all of the developments and amazing homebrew releases for the PSP to date, is it even worth it for anyone to buy a GP2X?

If anyone has hands on experience with the GP2X and thinks it is better than the PSP, please post your thoughts.

OR maybe a better question would be what can the GP2X do that the PSP can't?

And about a homebrew enabled console... I don't think it would have the same magic, fun, and excitement that an underground homebrew scene enjoys.

yeah part of the point of homebrew is doing what they say you cant but then some people seem to go a little bit too far and and say yeah and we can rob all your stuff aswell which pisses them off which makes it harder for homebrewers to make there own developments

The PS3 is supposed to support Linux, its even supposed to include a dev kit!

Quote Originally Posted by motz
    The PS3 is supposed to support Linux, its even supposed to include a dev kit!
    really? link.. (dev kit incluson)

ps3 is supporting homebrew remember! i remember i read a article which stated that ps3 will support homebrew for devs and you can sell it online or sumthin for 10 cents or sumthin.

Does that mean I can make ISO's of my PSP games and play them on the PS3? Ok that is sarcasm but I really wish they would've included a UMD drive on the system I hope they make a attachment or atleast a UMD console similar to the PS One.

DCEmu Regular

I do not beleave sony, microsoft or nintendo will support homebrew anytime soon...most of homebrew are illegal!!!

For exemple BOR MOD, MARIOWAR, SMASHBRO, etc... all use ripped sprite from commercial games...

Emulator use ROM and BIOS ripped from there original format

they do not wan t to have to deal with those copyright issue

it s just to dodgy...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information