Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSP/XBOX360:Humble Microsoft, no-so Sony

psp is not going to go down as of right now IMO well i think lol.

I was a happy PSone owner and more than happy PS2 owner. True, I think PSP lacked great games but I'M STILL a happy PSP owner (five installed EMUs and counting..) Those guy really can produce great gadgets.

The belief in gaming industry is you don't really get profit from selling consoles (infact, mostly they're at loss for a year or two) but from selling softwares. Sony fight ISO piracy. Believe it or not, they're very-very well exist. Homebrew perhaps like a double-sided knife to Sony.

Sony doesn't have enough people to cover the world even with computer technology

I expect to see an pretty good xbox emu on the ps3

and a perfect ps2 emu on the xbox 360.... by the end of the consoles.

listen to this... this is worse than sonys plan

ok sony 200$ linux kit... consoles last 4-5 years

microsoft (30-40$) a year (thats my guess) plus u have to spend microsoft points to download i think

it equals out

I hope this develops into full fledged homebrew apps being allowed to run on a standard x-box 360. I think Microsoft is taking a small step in the right direction. Sure it costs alittle money for them to develop and use the development tools but at only $99 a year it is well worth it. This certainly makes the x-box 360 more appealing to own for me. I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

My bad! 99$???!

yeah sony's will be more expensive i bet but not yearly..

DCEmu Newbie

Heres a thought..... perhaps if things really start to go downhill for the psp Sony could release a new version of the PSP that does allow for homebrew, but has some kind of improved copyright protection on new games. So that hombrew and emulation are encouraged, but piracy not.

They could charge a higher price for these special psps and so that they cover their costs and make abit on the product. I guess what i'm trying to get at, is they could aim to get money off the product itself, like Apple would off an iPod, and then software sales would probably grow anyway from the increased number of users.

I know I would at least be keen to shell out more for a psp in order to take on this approach, as opposed to the cat and mouse game that we currently play.

Ok, psmonkey is right about sony supporting homebrew,but it is always in a limited capacity.I believe this is a step in the right direction for microsoft,but once again not a solution.The problem that needs to be solved is the idea of intellectual property.Thoughts or ideas can no longer be owned once the have been released,no matter how much the "owners" resist. Simply once you share your idea it is no longer solely yours.

I'm all for dev's being reimbersed for dev cost's, that's not the problem.The problem is that the dev kit's are not free,which the should be.I personally believe game hardware companies should focus on turning profit from hardware.

I've said it once and I'll say it again sony does make money from hardware just not at first.The profit comes when production cost's drop.

Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter
    I'm all for dev's being reimbersed for dev cost's, that's not the problem.The problem is that the dev kit's are not free,which the should be.I personally believe game hardware companies should focus on turning profit from hardware.

I've said it once and I'll say it again sony does make money from hardware just not at first.The profit comes when production cost's drop.
    I really agree here, Though I can understand them charging developers for their official tools. I would also like to add I really think the music industries business model needs to change also to work well with technology. They need to shift away from making money on disc sales and even song downloads and switch to a performance based business model.

Yeah, the problem really is the business model.
    Keeping everything open source=no piracy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information