Thread: Open Source Linux Phone for Developers

ipod Open Source Linux Phone for Developers

I wasn't gonna post this until I saw the other posts of cell phones. This one has gone unnoticed however and its probably the most important one to any regular DCEmu.CO.UK visitor!

The "GreenPhone" from TrollTech features a user-modifiable Linux OS, and is meant to jumpstart a third-party native application ecosystem for Linux-based mobile phones. Trolltech is positioning the Greenphone as the "first open Linux mobile device for application developers." It hopes the product will enable a variety of corporate and community developers to "create, modify, and test Linux-based mobile phone applications on a working GSM/GPRS device."
    Features:
    - GSM/GPRS mobile phone endowed with a bootloader amenable to letting users re-flash the phone with modified Linux-based firmware, via a mini-USB port.
    - development kit will include documentation and tools for developers targeting QPE-based Linux mobile phones. The kit will also apparently include source code for key QPE applications, such as the address book and dialer.
    - The phone has a fairly thin and small "candybar" form factor, and measures 4.2 x 1.9 x 0.6 inches (106.5 x 49.0 x 15.6mm). It is based on a dual-core Marvell (formerly Intel) XScale processor clocked at 312MHz. It has 64MB of RAM, and 128MB of flash, expandable through a mini-SD card slot.
    - The Greenphone has a QVGA (320 x 240) LCD touchscreen display, in addition to hardware buttons to support keypad-driven user interfaces. Trolltech's QPE has supported both touchscreens (popular in technology-driven Asia) and keypad interfaces (popular in convenience-driven markets such as Europe and the U.S.)
    - The device also includes WiFi, and comes with SIP middleware supporting VoIP calls.
    - 1.3-megapixel camera, Bluetooth radio, and the all-important mini-USB port, over which the firmware can be updated. The Greenphone's baseband processor/modem is a Broadcom BCM2121.

Yeah... I know you want one too!

Click for Original Article and better picture..

That phone is so cool!
    Thanks JesusXP for posting.

My pleasure It seriously looks like we may have to add greenphone.dcemu.co.uk soon :P

oh.. and might I add.. goodbye blackberry! (yaeh.. I know, too soon -- but time will tell)

Quote Originally Posted by JesusXP
    My pleasure It seriously looks like we may have to add greenphone.dcemu.co.uk soon :P
    lmoa. maybe, who knows?

this phone is neet!

Wow I'd sure like to have that

wha .. it looks great , but my country is abit outdated , i have to wait !

Wow,friggin sweet fone.Thank you Jesus xp

Thread Information