Thread: converting pc games 2 ds games

Default converting pc games 2 ds games

if i make a game in say... RPG Toolkit ( www.toolkitzone.com ) or game maker 6 is there a way 2 port it 2 the ds?

i'd really like to know this to, but im pretty sure you need C++..

DCEmu Rookie

you would need the source code, if you're just starting out at this kind of stuff it will be basically impossiable for you to do within the next year or 2 but it would be great experince for the future.

But without the source code no matter how good you are you can't do it.

hmmmmm... how bout i port a 3d game (a farly old one) like final fantasy 7 (pc version) and put it in sevral parts? like disk one disk 2 and disk 3? i could get my very nerd freind to do it. is there a tut?

Quote Originally Posted by crash override100
    hmmmmm... how bout i port a 3d game (a farly old one) like final fantasy 7 (pc version) and put it in sevral parts? like disk one disk 2 and disk 3? i could get my very nerd freind to do it. is there a tut?
    It still wouldnt be possible, you cant download the FF7 source code, and if you cant get the source code, theres no way you can port a game

that was an example but i was thinking about trying but i guess if its imposible....

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by crash override100
    that was an example but i was thinking about trying but i guess if its imposible....

almsot NO good pc games have their source code available to public unless you want to pay 100k+

the reason why doom does is because the company is so sucessfull and the game is so old. So goodluck porting any of these games. FF7 for ds would be amazing, but entirley impossiable. Even if you had the source code for ff7 I'd imagine you would have to convert many many things to a lower gfx form because the engine isn't designed to run on a ds. So if you did have the ff7 source code im guessing it would be a 1-2 year job to get everything running correctly. Also would have to convert the cinemas and get them to run correctly at the correct times, witch would require new coding.

I know ff7 was just an example but so was that. It's not an easy thing to do.

DCEmu Newbie

Game Maker can not work on the DS

Although once you had a basic engine you could essentially port the game. This is how I started DS Dev.

RPG Toolkit could possibly (check out Virtual Game Maker)

Good PC games can't go generally straight to DS as said before for reasons of unavailable source code.
    These games have to be remade on the DS with totally new code. ex. Command & Conquer DS

Thread Information