Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MapThis! Firmware & GPS Compatability

DCEmu Newbie

psp MapThis! Firmware & GPS Compatability

This thread is for compatability reports of both firmware versions and GPS models. All of the information is available in various threads, but I thought it would be helpful to have it all in one place. Perhaps this could be combined with the wifi thread and made into a complete FAQ/Walkthrough for MapThis!.

GPS Mode - Currently only works on 1.5.

Non-GPS Mode - Map viewer only mode, should work on all firmware that can run the GTA exploit, this is currently up to version 2.6.

HTML Mode - Also, using the provided scripts, anyone with a web browser (firmware 2.5 + I believe) can create an html file with the map images to view the maps in the psp browser.

So far it has been confirmed to work on the following firmwares:
    • 1.5 (GPS Mode)
    • 2.5 (Non-GPS Mode, confirmed by me)
    • 2.8 (HTML Mode, confirmed by COFF6000)

Deniska stated that "it should work with all gps devices, which support serial comm port and NMEA protocol...". However, I thought that a "shopping list" of sorts might be helpful to anyone who doesn't already own a GPS unit.

So far it works with the following GPS units:
    • Holux GPSlim236 (developed with)
    • Pharos GPS-360 (requires customizing the config file, reported by A Fn NOOB)
    • Garmin GPSmap 60C (reported by Xern)
    • Holux GR-231 (awaiting confirmation from liornet)

It has been confirmed to not work on the following GPS units:
    • Garmin GPS III (reported by Spectreman)

However, Deniska has also reported that the next version of MapThis! might also fix some of the issues that people are having with the slower baud rate GPS devices. Non-working GPS units could have something to do with NMEA data parsing by the scripts. If using some older devices they might not comply with recent NMEA standards. The GPSlim236 uses NMEA standard 183 version 2.2 which was released on January 2002 - NOT the latest version 3.01.

If you have any others please add them here and I will update this post.

Here is how to spot an "un-patched" copy of GTA by looking at the case.

If someone could confirm the minimum firmware that has a web browser that would be helpful. Thanks.

Jay

Nice summary!
    Thank's for keeping track of these things!

DCEmu Newbie

The GTA exploit only works up to version 2.50 and here is how to detect an unpatched copy of the game [image removed:: see post above]

DCEmu Newbie

Deniska, I really like this software and will be getting a Holux as soon as I dare to downgrade my 2.5. So I want to contribute in any way that I can. (I'm also trying to get my post count up to use PM's, just a few more to go. )

Now that I'm on a faster internet connection I checked noobz.eu and it states that the eLoader, which uses the GTA exploit, will work on firmware up to and including 2.6. So I updated the post to reflect that and I copied in the image.

I just need to find out which version the web browser came on, I think it was 2.5.

Deniska, have you tried the homebrew web browser and tested the map viewer files with that? If so what is it called so I can add it to the post?

Can you sticky this and the other tutorial thread?

Thanks,
    Jay

DCEmu Regular

That by far is the best pic I have seen to find out if your version is patched...
    AWESOME...

DCEmu Newbie

That is awesome!!!

I really looked for a GPS solution for my PSP... And now there is one...

I have a question....

I have a GPS Receiver .... but you wrote that the GPS receiver needs to support serial comm port and NMEA protocol..

How could I find out if my GPS receiver supports this all!!

Here a link to my GPS modell .....
    http://www.jentro.com/index.php?id=98

I looked in the datasheet and it supports the NMEA Protocol but i dont find out if it suports the serial com port!!!

Sorry for my bad english!! I'm from germany!!! ;-)

Thanks for Answers!!!

greetz kamatschka

Quote Originally Posted by kamatschka
    That is awesome!!!

I really looked for a GPS solution for my PSP... And now there is one...

I have a question....

I have a GPS Receiver .... but you wrote that the GPS receiver needs to support serial comm port and NMEA protocol..

How could I find out if my GPS receiver supports this all!!

Here a link to my GPS modell .....
    http://www.jentro.com/index.php?id=98

I looked in the datasheet and it supports the NMEA Protocol but i dont find out if it suports the serial com port!!!

Sorry for my bad english!! I'm from germany!!! ;-)

Thanks for Answers!!!

greetz kamatschka
    I'm pretty shure it does has a serial port... but cant find the pinouts anywere... you use it to connet to a mobile phone? if so, try to find the pinout for that phone to know where TxD, RxD and GND are... The baud is 115000...

DCEmu Newbie

yes.. the GPS receiver was in a Package with my mobile Phone... but i'm not using it on my Mobile phone!!!

It's a Siemens CX 65 !

I will look to find the pinout for that Mobile Phone!

Thanks for help!!!

greets kamatschka

EDIT:

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY GPS RECEIVER! :

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4...1479res6cv.jpg

EDIT2:
    I will post my Questions in the other Thread to keep this Thread here clean!!!

DCEmu Newbie

I can tell you that a Garmin GPS III is a no go so far. Made up the correct cable for it, cable tested ok, edited the config file to set the baud rate to 4800 (the only speed the Garmin will do), got a good GPS signal, but nothing happens with the viewer. I have confirmed that data is getting to the psp ok. Just wondering if anyone else has tried using a different gps with the baud rate setting of 4800 successfully ? Looks like I will now have to purchase a Holux gps, which I really did not want to have to do......

DCEmu Newbie

Added Spectreman's report of the Garmin GPS III not working to a new section of incompatible GPS units.

Jay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information