Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows maps download tool for MapThis! by in7ane

In theory, you can "skip" a zoom level as long as it's not the base one... this may save people some space.. Of course you would see "Data not available" for that zoom on PSP.. I did not test this well though....

Another way to trim the size is to use photoshop batch scrips or image magic to try to reduce the number of colors in the image tiles...

Thanks for the app. Should be very usefull.

DCEmu Newbie

@ in7ane - can you get the poi's with this program or do you have any plans to add that?

ya i was about to ask that, how about trying to add a poi picker.
    also something i think shouldn't be to hard to add is the hybrid maps download?

oops im sorry i see the hybrid, the options tab is tricky u have to hold the mouse button on it and move the mouse down and then unclick lol

unlike google/MSN for maps, there is no single free poi data vendor out there that would cover all the countries...
    Hopefully, people would start building up and sharing their POIs or specific tools/methods/sources for regional POI data...
    I saw someone offering list of speed traps for England on neo flash forums..

It would be nice to create a convertion GUI tool to enter/import POI files to PSP's format, similar to:
    http://www.poieditor.com/

but thee is a way?
    u said *unlike google/msn for map* meaning those have poi?lo sorry im sleepy

Actually, I just did a little of "MSN/VE browsing" with IE Inspector on and found a pretty generic way to milk microsoft for POI:
    http://local.live.com/search.ashx?a=restaurant&b=&c=40.659929063364&d=-73.89323337448448&e=40.58553164241039&f=-74.04120548141807&g=0&i=2&r=true&mkt=en-us&where1=false"

In this query parameter "a" defines the POI type (could be gas/hotel/restaurant/etc), "c"&"d" define the top right corner of the search area; "e" & "f" - bottom left.
    "g" (o,10,20...490) is the current POI number. The application spits them out in chunks of 10 until there is no more POIs in that segment or it reached the top limit of 500...
    The trick here is to divide the area in to relatively small segments, so that you'd never had to go over 500....

The data, of course must be parsed out, but it's not a huge problem...
    Perhaps in7ane could use this in his tool as "POI import" feature...

The cool thing about it is that it seems to work even for some areas in Europe...

wow this sounds cool ima try it now after i post this cool comment

great find deniska

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by deniska
    unlike google/MSN for maps, there is no single free poi data vendor out there that would cover all the countries...
    Hopefully, people would start building up and sharing their POIs or specific tools/methods/sources for regional POI data...
    I saw someone offering list of speed traps for England on neo flash forums..

It would be nice to create a convertion GUI tool to enter/import POI files to PSP's format, similar to:
    http://www.poieditor.com/
    http://www.poieditor.com/ looks great. Maybe you could code mapthis to accept an more standard POI format like the ones offered on that site?

yet about PIO's I found this:

http://www.kubicki.pl/GPS_Links.html#POI_handlers

In some sites we can download (for free!) data related to radars

well, data must be parsed to comply with mapview POI format...

Thread Information