Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New questionable PSP rumors surface

Blog Entries

psp New questionable PSP rumors surface

Via PSPfanboy

I know how you all love rumors, and a new set of them have been making the rounds the last couple days. A gen[M]ay forum poster supposedly has access to all sorts of Playstation inside information, and he says Sony has huge plans for the future of the PSP and PS3.

Any kind of announcement like this should be met with a high degree of skeptivity, especially since a lot of his post is filled with blatant and hate-filled fanboyism.

Here's what he had to say:

The PSP's GPS peripheral is currently on hold;
    The PSP PS1 emulator will be included in a firmware upgrade in October;
    The Playstation online store for the PSP and PS3 will launch before Nov. 13;
    A new PSP entertainment pack is coming next month. It will retail for $250 and will include a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, and the Lords of Dogtown UMD. No headphones will be included;
    Sony has plans to use the PS3-PSP connectivity similar to the Location Free Player in that you'll be able to see your PS3's screen on your PSP as long as they're both on the same network. However, this feature may not be ready in time for the PS3's launch but should be soon after;
    Sony plans for more than 200 new PSP titles between now and the end of the year; and

The reason for the UMD flop can be blamed on Sony's "hands-off" approach concerning certain UMD stipulations, like pricing and extra content. Because of this, movie studios began releasing less than stellar movies with next to no special features. Sony isn't ready to give up on the UMD and plans to rectify this by instituting a $15 MSRP cap and all future UMDs must have the same features as their DVD equivalent.
    Some of the information doesn't sound too far fetched, but unless Willy Wonka has secretly taken over at Sony, I don't think it will be able to push out more than 200 games within a little more than months. Oh well, it's fun to wonder, right?

There's still no talk of a keyboard.

DCEmu Rookie

I dont think we will be able to emulate the firmware for the PS1 emu. I think it will be tightly secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax
    I dont think we will be able to emulate the firmware for the PS1 emu. I think it will be tightly secured.
    Well i wouldnt put anything past the psp scene.....when they want something they will get it:P the more people want the faster we get and im pretty sure this is wanted pretty bad by quite a few ppl

.....well i hope lol....well i hope for a ps1 homebrew emu more like

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax
    I wouldnt be so sure about that

Good to hear that UMDs are still gonna hang around - if they're cheap and full of features i.e. include playable demos of licensed movie games e.g. the Kong movie UMD featuring a playable level of the Kong game then they could increase sales of both the game and UMDs- it's all in the marketing and special features is what made DVDs so popular. Bring in limited edition Movie UMDs, Special features on UMDs that can dump rare PS1 games onto memory sticks and maybe even 3D UMDs (of course with PSP 3D glasses accessories) - Hell Sony - just give me a job in Marketing or R&D and I'll have the PSP hit sales that the DS lite has never seen

200 new PSP games could be possibe if they include emulated PS1 games - bring on Parapa the rapper !!

Admittedly this all could just be rumours... then again good marketing/managerial ploys are to use rumours to gauge general opinions before announcements are made - so who knows??

hey just whilst gps is mentioned........what is the usbgps.prx file for in the firmeware files i was thinking this is for the gps is this true and also there is a usbcam.prx

The reason for the UMD flop can be blamed on Sony's "hands-off" approach concerning certain UMD stipulations, like pricing and extra content. Because of this, movie studios began releasing less than stellar movies with next to no special features. Sony isn't ready to give up on the UMD and plans to rectify this by instituting a $15 MSRP cap and all future UMDs must have the same features as their DVD equivalent.
    Wow, whoever at Sony enforced this "hands-off" approach should be shot. Really, unbelievable...and it took them this f*ck'n long to realize that UMD movies sucked in comparison to cheaper and better DVDs.

Though I really hope their ressurrection of UMD does succeed - I don't the UMD drive to be completely useless......f*ck, Sony morons!

Btw, with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray out, $15 msrp cap is still to freakn high for UMD. These need to be capped at $10 to gain any success.

The PSP PS1 emulator will be included in a firmware upgrade in October;
    I'm really looking forward to this. I really hope DevHook can work this out...as there's still no freakn way that I'm upgrading from 1.5 to whatever firmware this PS1 emu will reside on....

Very Very Interesting... guess we shall see what is true and what is not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information