Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VGA Modified Dreamcast with Front SD Card Slot Released

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

While I'm not going to help with your warez related questions (see the site rules), I can a few things in general about using the SD Card adapters (including this internal one) on a Dreamcast.
    First of all, the SD Card is done off of the Serial port. The max speed of the serial port is lower than that of the GD-Rom drive, not to mention the extra code that has to be run in order to access the SD Card. Thus, its slower to run things off of the SD Card than the disc drive (this is for the most part not a problem with homebrew).
    I see no reason why this particular mod would disable the GD-Rom drive, as you still need it to boot the machine, so I'd be pretty sure that it still works.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

Ah, no I didn't assume the GD-ROM would be disabled by any means. I'm just figuring that these are used Dreamcasts to start out with, so I wanted to know if anyone noticed any wear and tear on the optical drives. Slower performance, read errors, etc.

And sorry about the warez question, I thought it was an okay thing to ask because others were talking about it being able to play commercial games from the
    SD slot. Of course, I own a TON of Dreamcast titles already, so I would mainly be using it as a portability feature. Nothing beats taking your DC to a friends house without having to bring a bunch of discs with you. Aaaand I'd much rather use it than my GD-ROM all the time. I went through 3 DCs already because they fail eventually like all other mechanical hardware.

So, really, my main question is - if anyone owns one of these things - how is the overall performance? A good breakdown would make it worth while. Even if the SD slot is more of a gimmick, I'd still like to buy one simply for the built in S-Video and VGA ports. I don't think I'll ever need to use the ethernet adapter ever again. All in all I'm buying one of these things, I just want someone to confirm the seller's reputation. I don't feel like sending $100.00 over a website I can't read. I did however research it more and found out about Yoybuy, so I will probably be using that to purchase it.

My only concern with purchasing it, if it is legit, is when I choose my color and everything if the seller will be able to read English.

Thx For Posting This, So U Put Emulators And Roms On Flash Sd Card Via Pc, Then Burtnt Sd Card Into Sd Card Reader On Dc To Read Emu??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by dj vectorman View Post
    Thx For Posting This, So U Put Emulators And Roms On Flash Sd Card Via Pc, Then Burtnt Sd Card Into Sd Card Reader On Dc To Read Emu??????????????
    Yeap. That's pretty much what it's there for. I keep doing more research every chance I get and it seems like it's almost not even worth it, though. At least for me. I love my Dreamcast for the retail games, but as far as homebrew goes I'm a bigger fan of the original Xbox. I just wish it had Half-Life and all of those ridiculous DC Half-Life mods. Oh, and a better version of Quake 3.

thx so many people said sd card dc NOT for emu rom, so thx truth

also what emus to put on sd? nester kega mame4all neo4all znes dreamnes sms?
    Last edited by dj vectorman; January 18th, 2011 at 09:03.

Quote Originally Posted by dj vectorman View Post
    thx so many people said sd card dc NOT for emu rom, so thx truth

also what emus to put on sd? nester kega mame4all neo4all znes dreamnes sms?
    Well don't quote me on that, I could be wrong. I'm sure it ultimately depends on how the homebrew is programmed, whether it be a game or an emulator. They need to know to look for an SD card for saving games and loading roms and whatnot. You could probably boot the emulator's executable from the SD card, but I'm not sure if any emulators are equipped with the specific code yet.

Thx, Itll Be Kool If Kega Could Boot From Sd, They I Can Play Segacd Iso / Rom From Sd Via Kega On Sd Card On Dc.

Heres A Non Sd Card Question, Also Can I Just Make A Dreamsnes Cd-r With My Fav Snes Games Will That Work On Dc? Cuz Dreamsnes Version I Have Sux, 50 Crap Games On It, I Think Dreamsnes Mainly A Boot?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information