Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSP: Final Release for SnesTYL9x mooted (SNES emulator for PSP)

Quote Originally Posted by motoko250
    this is the best snes emu ever!!!
    Matched by none!

DCEmu Newbie

Great emu, has provided me with lots of fun, thanks.

Another vote for zx-81 picking up the reigns.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by tsurumaru
    He also believes that if the graphics code was completely rewritten there would be a performance increase for the most popular roms:

"A full rewrite of the chipset (DSP / FX) emulation using VFPU for math stuff should increase the performance by quite a bit.

While the BEST/MOST popular games use it, it would require a LOT of dev to play 10 games.

That's why yoyo and I never went on this road...
    Moreover, we had more priority at that time :-)"
    That was a misinterpretation.

DSP / FX / co-processors are NOT the same as "graphics code". This refers to the special co-processors (DSP1, DSP2, Super FX, etc) that were used in games like Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG.

Anyway, Let it be known that I took a look at the code for these, but...

1) Not ALL co-processors can be sped this way. For example, the Super FX chip (IIRC) is just a second CPU like the original SNES one. In that case, only a Dynarec/JIT would help.

2) One or two COULD indeed be sped up a lot. For example, one of them (used in 3D games) does matrix multiplications. But it would be needed to rewrite the ENTIRE chip emulator to get optimal speedups, and unfortunately I don't like any of the affected games enough to spend the time on it

Really, SnesTYL is already VERY, and I do mean VERY fast. It's easier for users to live with frameskip 1 than for a developer to spend his life squeezing minor speedups from the emulator.

Quote Originally Posted by snkrock25
    I am very greatful to the 2 wonderful developers who worked on this project so faithfully .

My vote goes to zx-81 to pick up this project .
    u took the words right out of my mouth...

DCEmu Legend

Snes9xTYL 0.2c about a year ago is what got me hooked to the PSP homebrew scene. I was stupid and upgraded my PSP to 2.0 last summer for the web browser. Thank the heavens for MPH 2.0 -> 1.50 downgrader.

Now it has progressed to the amazing Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 ME. If they plan to release another "bug-fix" to this already impressive EMU it would be great.

It is impressive that this EMU is so advanced being a port. I wonder if there are any secret projects to create a perfect SNES EMU from scratch with a dynarec/JIT. If not, it would be nice if the latest source code could be released and other coders could continue to improve this great work.

Thanks for everything TYL team!

DCEmu Coder

The latest source code is released already...

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnus
    That was a misinterpretation.

DSP / FX / co-processors are NOT the same as "graphics code". This refers to the special co-processors (DSP1, DSP2, Super FX, etc) that were used in games like Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG.

Anyway, Let it be known that I took a look at the code for these, but...

1) Not ALL co-processors can be sped this way. For example, the Super FX chip (IIRC) is just a second CPU like the original SNES one. In that case, only a Dynarec/JIT would help.

2) One or two COULD indeed be sped up a lot. For example, one of them (used in 3D games) does matrix multiplications. But it would be needed to rewrite the ENTIRE chip emulator to get optimal speedups, and unfortunately I don't like any of the affected games enough to spend the time on it

Really, SnesTYL is already VERY, and I do mean VERY fast. It's easier for users to live with frameskip 1 than for a developer to spend his life squeezing minor speedups from the emulator.
    Yeah apologies Tinnus I was trying to think of a way to simplify the coprocessor rewrite into something a lay person could relate to but with hindsight "Graphics code" probably wasn't the best choice of phrase. Sorry if this caused any grief.

DCEmu Coder

Sometimes it's better to keep it as it was than try to "simplify" when you are not sure what it means

Just be careful when doing stuff like that, ie: taking scattered statements and turning it into a story. It's not that in this case it's not a "truth", but your text has a lot of "dangerous" areas (almost enabling wrong interpretation) and this one that is indeed wrong

Sorry if I sound rude or anything, the idea is just to give you a hint for when you quote other people or you might end up getting into trouble for putting words into someone else's mouth

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnus
    Sometimes it's better to keep it as it was than try to "simplify" when you are not sure what it means

Just be careful when doing stuff like that, ie: taking scattered statements and turning it into a story. It's not that in this case it's not a "truth", but your text has a lot of "dangerous" areas (almost enabling wrong interpretation) and this one that is indeed wrong

Sorry if I sound rude or anything, the idea is just to give you a hint for when you quote other people or you might end up getting into trouble for putting words into someone else's mouth
    Thanks, I understand your point, in all fairness however I provided the whole quotation that my statement referred to following it so this should have negated any inaccuracies on my behalf. (as you have rightly picked up on )

I had three objectives in writing the piece:

1. To let people know that a "Final release" was being considered by Laxer3a and Yoyofr.
    2. To summarise what Laxer3a thought might still be possible in terms of updating the emulator (but probably wouldn't be undertaken by Yoyofr or Laxer3a).
    3. To publicise the fact that Laxer3a and Yoyofr would welcome an experienced coder to continue work on the emulator (I think this is mentioned in two or three seperate threads in the TYL forums).

I took direct quotes from the TYL forums to summarise what the current situation is and gave sources for all of them, they are all related even if they do not appear in the same thread or immediate time frame, and sum up what has happened since 0.4.2's release.

I have to admit that reading QJ's rewrite of this article does make it sound like an official anouncement of Yoyofr's and Laxer3a's retirement has been made or something! I definitely didn't want that and apologise if its caused any offence.

Kind regards.

DCEmu Legend

Sooooo the TYL team is NOT passing the torch and ending work on this EMU? Now I'm confused ?!?!?!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information