Thread: How to sync or backup iPhone contents to new Mac

DCEmu Newbie

Question How to sync or backup iPhone contents to new Mac

I have brought a new mac and would like to sync my iPhone content with the new mac (i.e. contact, calendar, apps and etc..) As the the first sync will erase all contents from my iPhone, is there any way to avoid it. If the iPhone backup has been performed on the old PC, can I restore all the content from the backup if the content was erased during sync with the new mac. Please advise.

DCEmu Newbie

Log-in in to your iTunes account on your new Mac and then sync as normal. You'll be asked if you want to copy stuff from your iPhone to Mac (which you probably want to do) and then you should be able to continue as normal. Remember to authorize your new Mac with your iTunes account as well.
    Besides there is a step by step instruction on how to transfer or backup iPhone contents to Mac.
    Hope it can do you a favor.
    Last edited by green7o7o; March 6th, 2011 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by green7o7o View Post
    Log-in in to your iTunes account on your new Mac and then sync as normal. You'll be asked if you want to copy stuff from your iPhone to Mac (which you probably want to do) and then you should be able to continue as normal. Remember to authorize your new Mac with your iTunes account as well.
    Besides there is a step by step instruction on how to transfer or backup iPhone contents to Mac.
    Hope it can do you a favor.
    thx for share~

DCEmu Newbie

useful experience sharing. thanks

DCEmu Newbie

Yes, the first sync won't erase data if you're using the same iTunes account. Make sure itunes is set to not automatically sync when connecting the iPhone. Yes you can also restore from the old backup if things go wrong.

For contacts, I would also suggest exporting to a common vcard or csv format.

DCEmu Newbie

Depends on how you did your backup and what the restore method is. If you know how exactly to restore the backup it shouldn't be a problem.
    Shouldn't there be a way to just transfer your data from your iPhone to your Mac though? Sync your Mac with the phone? Maybe get that backup restored to your Mac?
    I have a Mac, but not an iPhone (Android user here), and I don't really bother with syncing (I just copy what I need).

DCEmu Newbie

I would recommend syncing the iPhone to your old computer just in case, taking screenshots of your home screens if you want to remember how they were arranged, doing the login/auth/transfer as described in the article, and then syncing despite that incorrect dialog.
    Last edited by kyincomme; December 14th, 2012 at 15:38.

Or you can just use icloud to backup your phone to just make sure on iphone in your iCloud settings you have backup on and contacts selected sign into icloud. then whenever you need then on device there their or on a comp. If you need more help let me know im traveling so on and off with connection atm.
    Last edited by AntonyWhite; December 13th, 2012 at 08:48.

Thread Information