Thread: SEGA will "probably" let Suzuki make Shenmue 3

Blog Entries

Dreamcast SEGA will "probably" let Suzuki make Shenmue 3

Legendary game developer Yu Suzuki has said SEGA will "probably" let him create Shenmue 3.
    "Probably SEGA will let me make it," he told an audience at the Game Developers Conference. "I think. It's simply a problem of budget."
    SEGA put an end to the expensive, revered Shenmue series after a second Dreamcast instalment. Simply, sales didn't justify the investment.
    "Well, I want to make it," Suzuki said of a third game in the series, as reported by Gamasutra. "About 200 people will buy it, I think. But funding is an issue."
    The first Shemue game, apparently, "only" cost $47 million to make – and that was in 1999. "Well, maybe I shouldn't say only," he joked. "We spent it on development and marketing... actually where did we spend it again?"
    Last year Suzuki tantalisingly teased that Shenmue 3 was much more than a fantasy - it existed. "The concept for Shenmue 3 already exists, so..." Suzuki said.
    "Shenmue 3 doesn't expand outward, but inward," he said at the time. "A lot of the dialogue is used for the main character and especially dialogue with Shenhua [the girl]. They [Shenhua and Ryo] talk about a lot of different, deeper things.
    "This is not actually in the game, but an example to give you an idea of what I mean by deeper dialogue: when Shenhua and Ryo are at home, Shenhua will ask Ryo if he would like to drink tea or coffee and the player will select one or the other. Or, Shenhua will ask Ryo a hypothetical question like: 'There are four animals; a monkey, cat, dog and bird. You are crossing the river but you need to leave one behind. Which one will you leave behind?' And the player has to choose one.
    "Shenhua will ask lots and lots of questions like these and the answers will get stored in the game and affect the outcome of the player's relationship with other characters. It's like a personality test. For example, the person who leaves behind the monkey is the type of person who leaves their wife."
    Shenmue 2 was released in 2001, and may have been the most anticipated Dreamcast game ever.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...make-shenmue-3

DCEmu Regular

I'd love to see this made but honestly how big is the market for a Shenmue type game now? If it's gonna happen i can see it only having a relatively tiny budget, then the whole game won't be as deep as the first 2, so personally i think if they not gonna do it right then don't do it at all, and that applies to a few dozen other Sega games the last decade.

Blog Entries

SEGA need to release the first two into the PlayStation Store (with trophies - just for the added effort to get Ryo to bed on time and whatnot), just as they did with Sonic Adventure... Then, when there is a new following, amongst the older following for a commercial release of Shenmue III, if they ever get around to making the game instead of playing with a decade old concept.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

xbla / psn hd re release please

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

DCEmu Pro

Shenmue 3 woruld be cool, it would also give me a solid excuse to play the other two again!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Mental2k View Post
    Shenmue 3 woruld be cool, it would also give me a solid excuse to play the other two again!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Thread Information