Thread: Sony opens up Move to amateur devs

Blog Entries

ps3 Sony opens up Move to amateur devs

Sony has lifted the lid on the rumoured PlayStation Move server - a piece of software known as Move.Me, which allows limited use of the motion controller on PC in order to create new games and applications for it.
    The software is designed for "hobbyists and academics", claimed Sony senior engineer John McCutchan on the PlayStation Blog, and grants access to "the exact the same data that licensed developers have."
    He claimed that "Even before PlayStation Move was publicly available to all of you, we were talking about the device's potential implications for academics and researchers. Move.Me... is an opportunity for PlayStation to inspire new, revolutionary applications in other fields beyond gaming."
    Rather than running directly on PC, Move.Me involves running special server software on a PS3, which then communicates Move data to a nearby computer via LAN.
    "We hope it will be used to discover new ways of connecting individuals with information, and maybe even discovering a new healthcare application or two."
    Move.Me may, of course, also open up the controller to the same kind of inventive hacks as have been seen on Microsoft's rival Kinect. No release date is available as yet.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...o-amateur-devs

DCEmu Pro

This is asinine.
    No doubt, however, Sony will quickly sue the $#@! out of the first nerd to figure out a PC driver for Move + Eye that doesn't involve using a PS3 as a middleman.

DCEmu Regular

I guess this will fall into the who gives a crap category... If you wanna wave your arms in front of a camera to do something interesting and innovative you've got Kinect, on it's own Move is irrelevant away from Ps3, but create drivers that combine Move and Kinect and you got something mighty tasty. I reckon MS would have the sense to have a good moan about it happening but only make a token effort to stop it, but Sony would just sue the Hell out of everyone even vaguely involved.

Thread Information