Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first steps into a brand new world

Default first steps into a brand new world

today, i took my first steps into the worl of programming. im using visual basic 2005. the tutorials on it are great, but they dont tell you how to install your program on your computer. everyone i know who programs started with visual basic. do any of you guys know how to install the programs you create? im hoping in a year from now, ill start coding some homebrew

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Copy the exe (and runtime dlls if you need them). Paste into new location. That's all you have to do to to distribute them. If you are looking for an actual installer, take a look at NSIS.

Sweet, I am taking a course at school on visual basic (its more like an Independent study though because only me and this other kid are doing it)

kool, hey thanx for the help. any help on creating an icon for my program? its nothing bug though, just a basic web browser, but its my first program.....its special......I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM!

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Honestly I would have chosen C# over Visual Basic due to the possible uses of the language (eg XNA) and it can be used for the same applications as Visual Basic as well.

just, ive heard visual basic is the easiest to learn at first. but im gonna learn c and c++. can u help me with vreating an icon for my program?

GP2X Coder/Moderator

As in actually creating an icon graphically, paint.net or gimp *should* do it.

I believe you can do it inside Visual Studio, can't remember how though.

Quote Originally Posted by yaustar
    Honestly I would have chosen C# over Visual Basic due to the possible uses of the language (eg XNA) and it can be used for the same applications as Visual Basic as well.
    I wanted to do C and then work my way to C++ because I have a basic understanding of C. But my teacher wanted us to do visualstudios.net because we have the big official manual for it and he wants to remember how to program for it because he hasnt programed in visual basic for years. I dont know much about C# (thats said as C sharp, right?) is it similar to C?

GP2X Coder/Moderator

It is a managed OOP language with syntax similar to C/C++. It is mainly for the Windows platform since it relies on the .net platform however there is an open source version called Mono which supports Linux. The other advantage is that it is the language used with Microsoft's XNA development Kit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp

One prblem you might have using Visual Basic 2005 for the PSP, is that the programs require the .Net framework in order to work. So I don't think (I have no idea how PSP dev works, but I do VB.net) you could compile them to work on the PSP. Unless, and this would be sweet, someone could port .Net, or at least a limited part of it to the PSP. But I have a feeling it's impossible.

Please let me know if I'm wrong though, because I'd like to get into this. Thanks,

Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information