Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowing DC :(

Default Yellowing DC :(

I have a very early Jap DC. Its one of the first 100,000 promotion box types with the cooling pipe system in it.

I have a problem with it thats been developing over time... its slowly getting yellow patches in areas on the casing where its getting hot and is looking quite tatty now. I heared that its possible to clean the Old PC Engine casing with some mild bleach and wondered if I could do this with my DC.

I'm really tempted to do this but don't want to risk completely ruining my casing.

Has anybody tried doing this, or know another method I could use to make my beloved old DC look nice again?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yellowing DC :(

Wow never heard of that problem myself.
    But i think it should be ok to clean it using bleach, be carefull of the logo and printed text on it.
    That said, if its yellow on the inside of the case, then it might not fix it, and most likely due to, to much heat.
    Do me a favor plug me into a sega.

To be this good takes ages, to be this good takes sega.

It's thinking.

Ok I said it, now pay me!
    http://www.thejoypad.net
    Twitter page

DCEmu Newbie

buy some black spray m8 lol !! ;D

or start mesuring up for a door stop.

tinku

DCEmu Coder

I also have the same problem, there is ment to be some plastic polish which will sort it out. If you find out let me know.

LyonHrt, I was gonna try and take the logo off the case some how and glue it back on if I try bleach. *The main areas of discolouration are the whole top of the casing, most of the back, and a little bit on the modem. *The other side and the bottom are still white which is odd as you'd epect the bottom to be the worst.

tinku, heh heh! aye, that would be the easy way.

qatmix, thats really interesting! I'll investigate that.. btw, is your DC an early model jap with the cooling pipes inside? My asumption is that its only a problem with these early units as they do get very warm.

Also, the problem is definately not sunlight as I keep it in a corner of the room where the tv shades it.

qatmix, I've tried soaking the back of my DC casing in mild bleach overnight (approx 10 hours). not a hint of change

I might try stronger bleach, but I don't think it will help. the only plastic polish I can come across that MIGHT work is expensive ($30) and only guarantees to get rid of scratches and discolouring on clear plastic.

I wish I could find specific info on how the old PC Engine's used to be cleaned with bleach. Mainly the concentration of bleach and time to leave soaking. (Im scared of overdoing it and wrecking the casing completely).

I will search more, but maybe its a lost cause.

DCEmu Pro

could u buy new housing? or are these first few different

DCEmu Coder

[quote author=phipscube link=board=off;num=1098451738;start=0#5 date=11/01/04 at 04:39:41]qatmix, I've tried soaking the back of my DC casing in mild bleach overnight (approx 10 hours). *not a hint of change

I might try stronger bleach, but I don't think it will help. *the only plastic polish I can come across that MIGHT work is expensive ($30) and only guarantees to get rid of scratches and discolouring on clear plastic.

I wish I could find specific info on how the old PC Engine's used to be cleaned with bleach. *Mainly the concentration of bleach and time to leave soaking. (Im scared of overdoing it and wrecking the casing completely).

I will search more, but maybe its a lost cause.[/quote]

Sunlight.. heat and age are the main causes, bleach will help a bit.. but you'll probably have more fun cleaning it well, and then painting it something nice.. like metallic green 8)

DCEmu Rookie

Has anyone tried 3M's Plastic Cleaner and/or their Plastic Polish? They're meant to be used together, but they can be kind of pricey, so maybe just the Polish (but clean your DC prior to using the polish).

Mental2k, I thought about getting a new housing... even buying a defective unit off Ebay. I guess I'm just being anal, i'd like to try and keep it as original as possible. I don't think there is much difference apart from the sticker underneath saying model number and serial code etc (Also the manufacture stamp in plastic under the top housing thats November 1998 ). I'm proud to have owned my DC since early 1999 and especially proud that its one of the first 100,000 promotion. I'm a bit daft eh? :P

Kamjin, I agree, I think its a combination of those now too, not just heat.... but I can't bear the thought of painting it.

Alexvrb, I think that stuff is used to remove scratches and make shiny... but i'll investigate it, maybe they have something to at least reduce discolouration, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information