Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: PSX-P Beta 1 Released - Playstation Emulator for PSP

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    what's supposed about Bluecrab being a coder? insults to staff aren't generally taken lightly, if you would read the rules you'd know that. drop it.
    woo a threat dont care okay bye

What did Blue Crab do that was so wrong, all he did was enforce laws of the copy right source code (GPL) and you are all hounding the guy for it. I recall many people also agreeing with Wraggster, for not wanting to host, or discuss dev hook at one point in time.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by acn010
    so this Yoshi's emu is modifyed from some other person PSX project?
    Of course. It's basically PCSX, the PSX emulator for PC, with some small modifications plus the P.E.O.P.S. GPU plugin with some small modifications, which BTW is also under GPL. So that adds up to 2 GPL infringements.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by zodttd
    As for overclocking to 333MHz, it won't help with PSXP, since it's already overclocking itself to 333MHz.

As for the GPL thing, as I said before:
    PSXP is only a few minor changes from PacManFan's leaked source. PacManFan's code is PCSX 1.5 with a WIP (e.g. broken) dynarec. Supposedly Yoshihiro has permission from PacManFan to use the source, but must of overlooked the GPL issue. Nobody went after PacManFan about GPL, so it must be suprising to see PSXP get it.
    Bluecrab and I are Dreamcast coders, and staffers at this site. As Dreamcast coders, we stick (mostly) to the Dreamcast section, but try to fullfill modly duties whenever possible. It was brought to our attentions that this violated the GPL, and so action was taken. It is now clear to me that the psp section of this site is rife with this kind of thing, and so I'm going to do my best to make sure it stops. Just because someone does something wrong and gets away with it doesn't mean it's right.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Ah, well, since this release is so evil, I hope one of you gents will be releasing a PS1 emulator for the PSP soon.
    Now, I'm probably defending the wrong side- I don't know a thing about what makes this illegal, but it must be something- but this is the only existing PS1 emulator for the PSP (that's released to the public, anyway), and though it may not impress any of you fellows, I'm digging the ability to start up Medal of Honor: Underground without problems, watching the videos and going through the menus, albeit slowly and without audio. I couldn't get ten feet through the first level before it crashed, but whatever.

at least, sony will release an emulator soon..

Yeah, Sony can't be breaking any laws, at least. I wander how they'll let people play PS1 games, though? Surely Sony won't promote the use of ISOs.
    The Sony emulator will only work with a PSP firmware version unsupported by DevHook, won't it?

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnus
    You'd be surprised, but a PS1 emulator is not very complicated. Less complicated than a SNES one, and maybe even less complicated than a NES one (due to all the mapper stuff). And certainly less complicated than an Atari 2600 emulator
    Tinnus you're insane :P PS1 has a simpler CPU than all of those but it has: GTE, GPU, SPU, CD-ROM, memory cards, and everyone's favorite, root counters. And most PS1 emulators have dynarec, it's pretty much expected.. not so for any of those (haha, a dyanrec on Atari 2600.. that'd probably be the worst idea ever) Sure doing a PS1 emulator isn't TOO bad if you're doing one for PSEmuPro plugins where over half the work will have already been done for you..

A system being more powerful doesn't mean it's harder to emulate or to "get working" in another platform. The 2600 is a very hard system to emulate due to it having tons of chips and tons of stuff done in hardware like collision detection.
    Tons of chips? o_o Far less than PS1, that's for sure, I thought it just had two, "TIA" and "RIOT".. a CPU that even rivals MIPS in how simple it is... The reason Atari 2600 is such a nightmare to emulate is because it demands 100% cycle accuracy to get everything working. But I bet actually coding Atari 2600 games is worse than writing an Atari 2600 emulator.

NES is also one of the easier platforms to emulate, because it has a simple CPU, simple video hardware, and not that bad sound. It does require some decent cycle accuracy to play a lot of games well, but you can get at least some results without it. There are lots of mappers, which I'm sure is a pain, but I hear many of them are extremely similar.

SNES.. agreed, it's a pain.. the graphics have a lot of little nuances and weird quirks, the RAM layout is an utter mess, requires some decent cycle accuracy to make the best stuff work well, and it has an entire second CPU and involved DSP.

But there is certainly a lot easier than PS1 out there, I think the original Gameboy is the easiest console to emulate (and thus the one you see everyone tackle on emutalk).. GBA isn't too bad, doesn't require much cycle accuracy.. only one CPU and audio hardware is barely more than GBC, but the CPU has two modes, a lot of intricicies in ARM mode, and its video has a ton of its own quirks too and probably rivals SNES's in a lot of ways, in that department.

All in all I'd say PS1 is one of the harder to emulate from scratch, probably around the same level as SNES. Hardest would be platforms like PS2 or Saturn.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnus
    Of course. It's basically PCSX, the PSX emulator for PC, with some small modifications plus the P.E.O.P.S. GPU plugin with some small modifications, which BTW is also under GPL. So that adds up to 2 GPL infringements.
    And an LGPL infringement with SDL.

thanks for the translation, we've been trying to understand that all day.

Thread Information