Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some questions

DCEmu Newbie

Default Some questions

Ok I did read arround but I still got some questions.

I sold my PSP which is a 2.71 firmware and got a 2.01 firmware PSP. Since 2.01 doesn't let you run emulators and $#@! I'm wondering do I have to downgrade to 1.5? Cause I got Valkyrie Profile and that requires me to run it on a 2.6 firmware. Now I know theres that devhook thing, but does that only run on a 1.5 firmware psp? What if I update my PSP to 2.5 will I be able to use devhook, or if I update it to 2.6 can I use any snes and GB emulators on it? Does the devhook change the interface or anything? And if I do downgrade can I always update it again in the future?

Is there any other way of me being able to play snes and gba roms on psp without having to downgrade and play 2.6 games on it?

DCEmu Regular

download this to change your firmware to 1.0 then upgrade to 1.5
    http://files.fanjita.org/psp/201DG.zip

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PlagueMusic
    download this to change your firmware to 1.0 then upgrade to 1.5
    http://files.fanjita.org/psp/201DG.zip
    Not even close to what I asked for.

You really should downgrade to 1.5,then just use devhook to emulate 2.71.Then you can play all currently available commercial games AND homebrew.Trust me it's the best/easiest way at the moment
    The alternatives are a little more complicated and do not have full compatibilty,close but not full.

Devhook will NOT run on a 2.01 so to play Valkyrie Profle you will have to upgrade. It you insist on not downgrading you need to find the TIFF exploit, I think it's on the news page on this site. To run the Snes roms, you need Snes9xTYL and to run GBA roms you need gpSP. I have no idea if these will run using the TIFF exploit, but you can try. I
    Hope this helps.
    I would seriously consider downgrading to 1.5 though, it is so much better!

Trust us, 1.5 is the best and offers the most compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert
    Since 2.01 doesn't let you run emulators and $#@! I'm wondering do I have to downgrade to 1.5?
    No, you dont HAVE to downgrade, some homebrew will run through specific loaders for higher firmwares (not 2.8 yet though), however what will run is limited, things may run slower and there is generally more hassles than having a 1.5 PSP.

Cause I got Valkyrie Profile and that requires me to run it on a 2.6 firmware. Now I know theres that devhook thing, but does that only run on a 1.5 firmware psp? What if I update my PSP to 2.5 will I be able to use devhook
    Devhook is currently your best option, once set up is VERY easy to use and allows you to run all games released up to now. It runs only on fw 1.5, a version designed to run on fw 2.71 and emulate fw 1.5 has recently come out, but even that requires some writing to your PSP's internal flash.

or if I update it to 2.6 can I use any snes and GB emulators on it?
    If you update to 2.71 you can run some homebrew through the eloader http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36627, however I believe compatibility is limited, and you cannot run the 'Media Engine' versions of the SNES/GBA emulators which run faster than the standard versions by using more of the psp's hardware, not currently accesible on higher firmwares. Downgrading is still the better option.

Does the devhook change the interface or anything?
    No, its simply an option under the psp's 'game' menu just like any homebrew, running it will load your psp straight into the umd game you have in your drive (by first loading firmware 2.71 into memory to allow newer games to run). If you press the home button and exit out of the game, you will see the standard psp menu from firmware 2.71 and will have access to all the new features like web browser etc, fully turning the psp off (holding the power switch up for a few seconds) and back on will bring you back to your standard 1.5 psp menu as devhook is only resident in your psps ram which is lost when powered down.

And if I do downgrade can I always update it again in the future?
    Yes, if for some reason you wanted to you could, but once youve tried 1.5 and devhook you wont want to.

Is there any other way of me being able to play snes and gba roms on psp without having to downgrade and play 2.6 games on it?
    Answered above, yes you can, but 1.5 is a LOT nicer, why do you thing theres so much fuss when a new downgrader is released? Its a good feeling to have proper access to the hardware you paid for, despite sony's objections.

PlagueMusic answered your questions in a much more breif, but equally accurate way.

His link will allow you to easily make your psp believe it is a version 1.0, allowing you to 'upgrade' to 1.5. Using the file he linked to, along with the firmware 1.5 update http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/4 on you 2.01 fw psp is the easiest and safest means to freeing your psp.

DCEmu Newbie

Hmm since so many say 1.5 is better I might aswell downgrade, when I get back from school today I gotta try it out, just hope I don't mess it up.

Thanks a lot for the info people.

DCEmu Newbie

Ok now I'm back from school, is there a specific downgrader I need to downgrade to 1.5 ? I tried the 2.01 downgrader thats on this forum and when I go to my psp and select the 2.01 downgrader I get a "this game could not be started" message. And yes I did follow the instructions in the readme.

So does that mean I'd have to upgrade to 2.5 or 2.6 to be able to downgrade to 1.5?

The 2.01 downgrader has to be run through the eloader.

I was running 2.0 when i downgraded and could use the tiff exploit downgrader, I believe this is patched under 2.01 so you will need an original release copy of GTA: liberty city stories (the one that comes with firmare 2.0 on the UMD) and use the eloader through that.

You could upgrade to 2.5/2.6 but I Believe their downgraders also require gta and the eloader, the 2.71 downgrader doesnt require them, so that may be an option if you dont have access to a copy of GTA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information