Thread: Microsoft not moved by motion

Blog Entries

xbox 360 Microsoft not moved by motion

Nintendo is basing its entire console around it and Sony is ditching rumble in favour of it, but is Microsoft interested in joining the motion/tilt-sensing party? That was the question put to Phil Spencer, one of Microsoft Game Studios' general managers, at an X06 round-table Q&A session in Barcelona yesterday.

"Our input devices or new hardware will come through our innovative ideas on games. We won't formulate a piece of hardware that we want someone to buy and then figure out how we can build a game to compel them to buy it," Spencer explained.

The Microsoft man certainly wasn't ruling out the possibility of alternative ways to play games on 360 in the future, though. He continued by telling the assembled journalists that "if an idea broke the boundaries of the hardware," and if the game idea was strong enough, then it "might lead to a new input device".

He also admitted that the kinetic powered controllers from Nintendo and Sony would be "some of the things we'd watch to see what compelling games come from the new input devices. What are the new gaming paradigms, if any, that might be delivered?" Spencer himself obviously has doubts: "I don't think the promise of a new input device means a new kind of game."

And talking about Nintendo's focus being almost entirely on its motion-sensing technology, Spencer commented that, "when you have an input device that is basically your only thing to talk about... that's what you talk about".

So, while Microsoft might not be convinced right now that kinetic-based technology will have a truly beneficial impact on gaming, it is keeping an open mind and will, no doubt, be watching the public's reaction to Wii with interest.

DCEmu Rookie

I like that. He's not being some close-minded $#@! and is actually going to give this "new" technology a chance to prove itself revolutionary.

That's how things should work.

In other words "We're going to watch the competition."

Didn't Nintendo try motion-sensing technology before with the GBA? I seem to remember a game with Mario flying a plane which rose and fell depending on which direction you tilted the GBA.

DCEmu Regular

Microsoft already made a motion sensing pad for the PC. and actually they was one release for ps1(just the same they release for the ps3).

I ve try the wii and I was at first kind of disapointed.
    the pad isn t that intuitive to use. especially with complicated motion.(it work really well with big motion like swing a sword or playing tennis, etc...but thing like aiming need more training)

I think the technology can easly been upgraded. Microsoft is probably cleaver to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by 10shu
    Microsoft already made a motion sensing pad for the PC. and actually they was one release for ps1(just the same they release for the ps3).

I ve try the wii and I was at first kind of disapointed.
    the pad isn t that intuitive to use. especially with complicated motion.(it work really well with big motion like swing a sword or playing tennis, etc...but thing like aiming need more training)

I think the technology can easly been upgraded. Microsoft is probably cleaver to wait.
    couldnt have said it better myself

Didn't Nintendo try motion-sensing technology before with the GBA? I seem to remember a game with Mario flying a plane which rose and fell depending on which direction you tilted the GBA.

The only two games I can think of are Wario Twisted and Yoshi's Universal Gravitation.

Thread Information