Thread: Rumor: Gamestop PS3 Pre-Orders Based on 'Loyalty'

Blog Entries

ps3 Rumor: Gamestop PS3 Pre-Orders Based on 'Loyalty'

Every time I mention the PS3 preorder situation, I hypothesize that getting a console at launch (even if you preorder) will require cracking open another man's sternum with your bare hands, leaning back as a hiss of bloody steam spurts through the air, and then conquering his luckily purchased console as if it were a Hyperbornean woman. I was only half-kidding. But from an anonymous tipster comes this disquieting news, from a Gamestop manager:

Each gamestop store will receive an average of 6 systems (more for higher volume stores, less for dead stores). 1-2 systems can be given to employees at the store manager's discretion. The rest are given out to the store's "regulars". If a manager feels he has a customer who is very loyal (shops there often, reserves many things), they call them and ask them if they want to guarantee one of the remaining 4 consoles...and aparently all 4 of the remining consoles are handed out in this fashion.
    Nepotism for the win! Looks like journalists won't be the only ones waiting 20 weeks for a PS3.

That's pretty sad, imagine working overtime just to get enough money for it, and you find out you can't get one from the local Gamestop because you're not a frequent buyer at their store.

wow, i see alot of but kissing come to a gamestop near you.

seriously, this is bad.

So I have to shop their more if I want to preorder first? Bad marketing, but it may work. All I have to say is that I think Gamestop is going downhill because of the fact they sell used games for only $5 less than new ones, and don't make much profit on the new ones. Who would be a used version of a $50 game for $45 anyway?

i was in one yesturday and besides being completely oblivious about products they sell, they also wanted the same price for a used copy of brain age without the case as the new one. that makes all kinds of sense /sarcasm

Yes, I agree. Gamestop is getting pretty cheesy these days. I spend literally thousands of dollars a year on videogames. If they don't sell me one, I will never shop at another Gamestop again.

Thread Information