Thread: CE-Oh no he didn't! Part XIV : Lack of rumble keeps PS3 controller "affordable"

Blog Entries

ps3 CE-Oh no he didn't! Part XIV : Lack of rumble keeps PS3 controller "affordable"

It's time again for one of our favorite segments, CE-Oh no he didn't! For this week's episode, we're going to talk a little bit about the PS3. Now, we all know that the new PS3 isn't going bring the rumble to our favorite upcoming Sony gaming console. But what we didn't know was why -- yes, yes there were claims that it had to do with interference of motion sensing, or lawsuits from Immersion, but we hadn't gotten a clear reason straight from the horse's mouth, particularly when surveys suggest fans would be willing to pay for it. However, a recent interview by GameDaily Biz with SCEA prez Kaz Hirai says that it's yet another reason altogether:

"Is it technically feasible? Absolutely. But the balancing act that you need to do, is to be able to present the controller to the consumer at an affordable price."

Affordable? Please. Joystiq points out that a G-Pad Pro for the PS2, which has motion sensing and vibration, costs $30, a whole Lincoln higher than the Dual Shock. C'mon Kaz, can't you at least be straight with us? Now of course, this is from the same folks who said that just a few months ago said that the $500 PS3 was "too cheap," and is well worth the markup compared to the Wii, but backtracked when the company recently dropped the price in Japan. Maybe that means the prices of the controllers are going to come down too?

I wouldn't be surprised to find some of these CEOs in a closet somewhere smoking crack.
    I don't really care about rumble but a lot of people do and that's what they should be listening to.
    Boy these guy's sure don't like to listen to their customers, we know what happens after that goes on for a while.

I think they do smoke crack there. I dont understand why Sony is holding back rumble, why is that. Nintendos console will keep records of how much you play it. Now thats creapy.

Thread Information