Thread: Good question: why doesn't the Xbox 360 have its own browser?

Blog Entries

xbox 360 Good question: why doesn't the Xbox 360 have its own browser?

Sony and Nintendo have promised that gamers who purchase the PlayStation 3 and Wii will be able to browse the web from the comfort of their couches. Sony will accomplish this through their own custom web browser while Nintendo has partnered with Opera Software to install a trial version of the Opera browser on the Wii.

This led a friend of mine to ask me the following question: "Why doesn't the Xbox 360 have its own browser?"

Good question, Vikas!

We don't want a complicated solution that requires an operating system (though, at any given time, we've got all kinds of computers on around the house). We just want to turn on the dang console and be able to browse Youtube every once in a while, maybe between sips of mind-slurrying substances. It'd be neat.

Now where is it?

DCEmu Rookie

Default Internet Explorer on 360

Well I think its to do with Microsoft and it owns Internet Explorer. But Microsoft could include a Internet Explorer for 360 with a firmware update but they will have to think about the Internet Security problems. They could release a DVD with IE on it. Releasing the Opera browser for 360 may run into problems with Microsoft as they have IE, etc. I would like a internet browser for the 360 that will be cool.

I hope there is an internet browser for the 360, even if it's IE. I don't really see why it's not possible, I mean the 360 is powerful and has lots of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by SSaxdude
    I hope there is an internet browser for the 360, even if it's IE. I don't really see why it's not possible, I mean the 360 is powerful and has lots of ram.

Well the Dreamcast had one, and from what I heard so did the Saturn.

So power is not the issue, I think it has to do with vulnerability, Microsoft is probably testing things out with it or something.

The last thing they want is a million bricked 360s in their repair warehouses.

Well, think about this logically, if Microsoft were to include an internet browser with the 360 there would be many things they would have to do first.

1. make sure there are no bugs leading to production of homebrew apps etc. Which prolly means no flash or javascript (almost no web pages)

2. make sure there is no way a virus could be produced and executed on the 360 thru surfing the net. (once again no javascript etc.)

3. make sure it was completely secure (nobody wants a bricked 360 right?)
    http://one.revver.com/watch/170516
    http://one.revver.com/watch/167200

Please click the links above to watch my stick figure animations,
    and please, if you have the time, click the ads at the end to earn me some money.

soo... 360 browser is ****ed
    probably not really as its not impossible to keep it secure

Thread Information