Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Custom GameBoots?

still off-topic...
    but acidburn forgot the whole deal with software patents.... now that is messy, as 'creative' proved in the apple fight

I meant uk law :P

Anyways, it doesnt deter from the original intention that I have desperately been trying to get across.

We *cannot* make a choice between what is copyrighted and what isnt just because it suits us.

What is the deciding factor when it comes to copyrighted material? ISO Talk?

Whats the difference between talking about ISOs, and talking about ROM compatibility under an emulator? I dont see any difference.

This isnt about a holier than thou attitude, I just feel that sometimes its made too easy to talk about copied tgames just because they run under an emulator.
    Find yourself some ebay spelling mistake bargains!
    Use the power of the TYPING WAND! |Free PSP ISOs to download

Pick of the google street views! Including topless girls

Proud owner of a Nintendo Wii!
    PSP1. Black Jap 1000K: 1.5 -> 2.71SE-A -> 2.71SE-B -> 2.71SE-B' -> 2.71SE-B''
    PSP2. Black "non worker" from ebay: 2.6 (?) -> 2.71 -> 1.5 -> 2.71SE-B -> 2.71SE-B'
    PSP3: Black "Broken UMD Drive" UK 1003 2.0 -> 1.5 -> 2.71SE-B -> 2.71SE-B'
    Do you have a bricked psp?

Software patent

One possible definition of a Software patent, supported by the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII), is that it is a patent on any performance of a computer realised by means of a computer program.[1] However, the term does not have a commonly recognised meaning.

A related term is Computer-implemented invention (CII), which is used by the European Patent Office (EPO). Although the term is again not well defined, One EPO definition of a CII is "an invention whose implementation involves the use of a computer, computer network or other programmable apparatus, the invention having one or more features which are realised wholly or partly by means of a computer program." [2]

There is intense debate as to what extent either software patents or patents on computer-implemented inventions should be granted, if at all.

Patent what is it.
    A patent is a set of exclusive rights granted by a state to a patentee (the inventor or assignee) for a limited period of time.

To obtain a patent, inventors must file patent applications in each and every country that they want protection in, such as Japan, China, the US or India. Some regional offices exist, such as the European Patent Office (EPO), which act as supranational bodies with the power to grant patents which can then be brought into effect in the member states.

Patent applications also have one or more claims which set out the boundaries of the invention that the inventor asserts is his/her original and non-obvious invention. The claims also describe what third parties are not allowed to do without permission from the patent proprietor. A patent claim is a one sentence definition of a given invention. For software inventions, such claims are often in the form of a computer-implemented method or a system for implementing the invention.

Patents are not granted automatically in most countries but must usually undergo an examination process in which a patent examiner determines if the applicant is entitled to the patent claims they are requesting. If so, then the claims are allowed and a patent issues, often only on payment of a grant or issue fee.

Once a patent issues in a given country, the patent owner can prevent others from making, using or selling the claimed invention in that country. Patents are generally enforceable for up to 20 years. Different countries have different standards for allowing patents. This is particularly true of software or computer-implemented inventions. Thus a particular computer based patent application may be granted a patent in one country, such as the US or Australia where such applications are more likely to be accepted, but be deemed unpatentable by other patent offices such as the EPO

Dude, I think whatever it is your trying to prove, has somehow turned into an unfair ultimadum for me? I will not post any information about how it is legal to backup your own games for your own use. (I think that would promote piracy) I can't believe we have talked about it this much... Like I said, I feel I am being unfairly picked on here. And that it not right. I have PMed Wraggster, and reported your little ultimadum to me as a bad post. Hopefully we can all just drop this, and get back to getting along. We all are "good" members on this site...I hate fighting, and I won't do it...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDX
    I meant uk law :P

Anyways, it doesnt deter from the original intention that I have desperately been trying to get across.

We *cannot* make a choice between what is copyrighted and what isnt just because it suits us.

What is the deciding factor when it comes to copyrighted material? ISO Talk?

Whats the difference between talking about ISOs, and talking about ROM compatibility under an emulator? I dont see any difference.

This isnt about a holier than thou attitude, I just feel that sometimes its made too easy to talk about copied tgames just because they run under an emulator.
    And i totaly agree with you mike there should be no talk period what you should do is close this thread i was looking at you guys go at it back an forth for a long time and all you really need to do is close it you have the autority right. I just got a little offended when you made the comment about Mr. Shizzy so thats why i brought the rules out well my wife emailed them to me. Any ways i respect you dcemu and the gaming industry in general so please close this thread.

well said. good closing comment. thread closed.
    Find yourself some ebay spelling mistake bargains!
    Use the power of the TYPING WAND! |Free PSP ISOs to download

Pick of the google street views! Including topless girls

Proud owner of a Nintendo Wii!
    PSP1. Black Jap 1000K: 1.5 -> 2.71SE-A -> 2.71SE-B -> 2.71SE-B' -> 2.71SE-B''
    PSP2. Black "non worker" from ebay: 2.6 (?) -> 2.71 -> 1.5 -> 2.71SE-B -> 2.71SE-B'
    PSP3: Black "Broken UMD Drive" UK 1003 2.0 -> 1.5 -> 2.71SE-B -> 2.71SE-B'
    Do you have a bricked psp?

Just to add something, heres a link on backing up games....Though it says its illegal in the U.S. it is legal in other countries.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information