Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows CE.... :(

Default Windows CE.... :(

Hi! I recently got a dreamcast (With Windows CE symbol on the front) and im new to the homebrew scene.

The problem is, i can't find any info on Windows CE for dreamcast at all. I really want a Dreamcast enabled version of CE, but do i need a Keyboard? if not where can i find a copy?

Default Re: Windows CE.... :(

Well unfortunetly getting a keyboard wont get you Windows CE working on your DC and Windows CE cannot be downloaded but if purchased big amounts of money i believe for the DC version as it was only being used to produce and make games

Eric

Dream Coder

no. there is no such thing as Windows CE for the dreamcast at all. There is a development kit that allows you to create programs for the Dreamcast using Windows CE style-libraries. Basically programs that would run on Windows CE.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

okay i forgot thanks man thats what it was i knew something had to do with Windows CE

[quote author=Vangar link=board=dcapp;num=1100493896;start=0#0 date=11/14/04 at 22:44:55]Hi! I recently got a dreamcast (With Windows CE symbol on the front) and im new to the homebrew scene.

The problem is, i can't find any info on Windows CE for dreamcast at all. I really want a Dreamcast enabled version of CE, but do i need a Keyboard? if not where can i find a copy?[/quote]

Hi & welcome to the scene

There's a linux port to DC - I haven't tested it until now but you can download it at www.DCHomebrew.org

So when it says its "compatable with windows CE" its not compatable at all (just the dev kit)? Is that written on all the DCs? It's very misleading.

PS: Ive tried the Linux port and it runs alright. (At least the start, no keyboard = A,B,X,Y only lol)

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

yes every dc has it written on it.

It's not misleading. Games with the "Powered by Windows CE" logo on them (Sega Rally, and a few others) run on Windows CE. Windows CE is included on the GD-ROMs. There's no GUI like the PocketPC version of WinCE, just DirectX and a few other core parts of Windows.

-Sam

Now im starting to understand.

Where can i get the windowsCE folder?

You'd need to rip it off a GD-ROM, which can't be discussed here. It's not available freely, and it's useless by itself anyway. There was one emulator that used it (sintendo), but that's about it.

-Sam

Edit: Now that I think about it, there was also a WinCE-based mp3 player. I can't remember what it was called. DreamAMP, maybe? You can't legally redistribute the Windows CE runtime, so there's really not a lot you can do with it. Best to steer clear of it and use KOS.

Edit #2: It's DC MP3 by Strat76, not DreamAMP, that runs on WinCE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information