Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey, is there a Sega CD emu. fot the dreamcast???

DCEmu Newbie

Default Hey, is there a Sega CD emu. fot the dreamcast???

Yeah. Pretty self-explanatory.

Just want to know if there's a way to play Sega CD games (pysical games, not .isos... bleh) on the Dreamcast. That's all.

El Cernex

No I don't think there is a Sega CD emulator. But I’m not 100% sure on that seeing as I just entered the Dreamcast scene no more than a few months ago.

No. there isn't a sega cd emulator for Dreamcast.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

There isn't one, and quite frankly, I wouldn't count on one for a long time, if ever. Sega CD emulation requires pretty much perfect Genesis emulation, and CPU time to spare. We've got pretty good Genesis emulation, but its not quite perfect yet, but there's likely not enough CPU time to spare to do everything completely proper yet.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

Blue Crab, I admire so much your work, and I think you have the most intersting projects in the scene nowadays.

So, I would like to add an thoght: from what I've been reading, the main problem in emulating the Genesis is its sound. In SegaCD it could be skipped, because it used reproducer, just like the DC. So, with no sound to emulate, it would have some more CPU time to spare.

Am I too wrong?

Thank you!

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab View Post
    There isn't one, and quite frankly, I wouldn't count on one for a long time, if ever. Sega CD emulation requires pretty much perfect Genesis emulation, and CPU time to spare. We've got pretty good Genesis emulation, but its not perfect yet, and there's certainly not the CPU time to spare either.
    Actually, when using the hardware rendering, there is time to spare. I'd say some time in the next two-ish years, we might have SCD emulation (fullspeed that is)

So, I would like to add an thoght: from what I've been reading, the main problem in emulating the Genesis is its sound. In SegaCD it could be skipped, because it used reproducer, just like the DC. So, with no sound to emulate, it would have some more CPU time to spare.
    Yes, since the SCD used CDDA, you could turn off the sound emulation to gain a lot of speed.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Wow, quzar, you're really fast!!! Thank you for the reply!

And keep on the good work you, too. I've been reading this forum almost daily during this year, and some of you are VIP to me...heheheh...

So, it would be possible, specially if it was dedicated only for the SegaCD, right? Oh, there's still a hope...

DCEmu Regular

The best games of the sega cd were defined by their great music or spoken dialogue. Although a soundless sega cd emulator for the dc might be possible, it won't be desirable.
    If you want to play original sega cd games, just buy a sega cd. I picked up a genesis/sega-cd combo for $40 total just a few months ago. I have not regretted it.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by iniquitous_beast View Post
    The best games of the sega cd were defined by their great music or spoken dialogue. Although a soundless sega cd emulator for the dc might be possible, it won't be desirable.
    If you want to play original sega cd games, just buy a sega cd. I picked up a genesis/sega-cd combo for $40 total just a few months ago. I have not regretted it.
    CDDA would still be free. CPU generated sound would not.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

there is one sega cd game that runs on the dc now, Heart of the Alien
    http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin...0,0,0,0,61,449

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information