Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help downloading some Maps

DCEmu Newbie

Default Need some help downloading some Maps

Alright I followed "A FN Noobs" Tutorial on getting the Microsoft GPS-360 working with my PSP and I have Mapthis 0.3 working with the GPS, but I can't seem to figure out how to get maps to download on my PC or how to get the wifi map download option in the program to work.

As far as the PC goes I am just trying to use the google maps downloader program to get a map of North East Texas. but it fails to ever give a preview (just shows Red X where images are supposed to be) and I don't know what settings to put in for Zoom levels and so forth, I have managed to get it to download something but it was gonna be like 2 gigs and I dont need that much detail. so any help with settings and setup for this program would be much appreciated.

Now as far as using wifi to download, I have the program boot up, find me on the map using GPS, I then go back to main menu select "wifi upload", turn on wifi switch and then I get a IP but it just sits there Resolving Host... my network settings in the psp are good because the web browser is working fine. Im just at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated =)

-Twobee

*EDIT*
    I did fingure out part of my problem, I was using the updated version of the google downloads program from this post "http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068"
    on page 1.... well it has some bugs I come to find out lol... I think the most recent version is on page 27 of the post, so im using that now and it seems to be working. but im still a bit confused about the map sizes and the advanced settings in the program.

Thanks

*EDIT 2*
    Well I have been playing with the google maps downloader some more and have managed to download a map with it, in the new compression format(GPSFS, and yes i'm using the new beta version of mapthis that supports it) well when I load my map up in the program on the psp, it says theres no data available for any of the layers and then when I put it into GPS Mode it says the location is off the map and the SAT Data is BAD, now in version 0.3 of mapthis on the PSP I was able to use the GPS to locate me on the zipped world map no problem, so I know my cables and GPS are good, I just cant seem to figure out these damn maps lol. again any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Twobee

DCEmu Newbie

Please anybody who has been using this, please help me figure this out, I feel im really close, my map works fine in the map test in the program but when I put it onto the psp it says no map data is there... the map is about 50 megs but if someone wants to check it for me, I can ftp upload it somewhere.

thanks for your time

-Twobee

Sure,
    upload the file to some web server and post the link here or in in7ane's thread..

Also, try using the latest (3.9 beta) version of mapThis and gmdl tool and let me know if you still have problems..

DCEmu Newbie

It might be as simple as making sure the wifi switch is off... And no umd in drive.

Good luck!

Hi Deniska.. hows it going? What have you been working on lately?

I have been busy fixing up a Bass-Boat I bought. I have a bunch of transducers I took off. Lets make a PSP fishfinder.

DCEmu Newbie

Well no I already went thru the wifi switch problem and the UMD in the drive problem thats not it this time

I did try the new beta that deniska had posted and now my map is loading, but when I went outside to test the gps the data shows good but a cursor never shows on the map showin my location and no sats ever come up, im so close I can taste it.... AHH what am I missing lmao

thanks btw to you "a fn noob" for the tut on the Microsoft GPS, I had one layin around and made it work I used a basic small project box from radio shack and just usin 3 AA battys to power it, usin a switch on the gnd of the battys since the plugin to poweron wiring didnt work for some reason on my adapter, no biggie the power switch I made works like a charm.

anyways thank you both for the help.

-Twobee

*Edit*
    Also is there a new release of the map downloading progam as well (im using 1.2.15A) I didnt notice one.
    if so that might be my problem right there, I can redownload my map if need be.

DCEmu Newbie

Did you do the thing to set bitrate @ 4800 from 38400? And the buffer thing? In the config file

My psp is in the truck, Or Id see what my setting are.

Seems like I had to set the baud to 9600 and then another setting, like change a 1 to a 4 or 8. But maybe that was an earlier version, there's been so many I forget atm.

If you have a PC with a serial port, you can flash that reciever to 38400. It wont work with the USB cable, they made sure it would only talk one way. You would have to make a little db9 to go to a real serial port (not usb).

I think you are maybe using the default 38400 setting. Deniska can explain the buffer thing, it basically syncs the software with 4800bps.

DCEmu Newbie

Yes I have the bitrate set to 4800 and changed the 1 to a 4 a 5 a 6 , 100 , 500, nothing seems to work, im getting sats now and it will find me on the map, its just not tracking movement after that, im really really close

DCEmu Newbie

I also Have a GPS-500 unit from the newest version of MS Streets and Trips 2007, you think that would be a better one to use?

DCEmu Newbie

Well I have been doing some testing and I just cant seem to get this to work, I tried my Pharos GPS-500 unit as well as my Pharos GPS-360 and im getting the same results with both devices, I boot up mapthis, I plugin the GPS into the PSP Serial Port I power on the GPS with my powerswitch on it, I wait about 5 seconds and then press [ ] which enables GPS Tracking, After about 10 seconds it locates me on the map right where im at, YAY that works, but then thats all it does, it dosent keep track of my location after that, even though its tracking on like 6-7 sats at any given time, here is my Config file for refrence...

DCEmu Newbie

###########################################
    ############## DEFINE BAUD ################
    BAUD=4800

## TRY >1 VALUES FOR SLOW BAUD DEVICES ###
    READTIME=8

######FAKE FEED SWITCH 0 or 1 #############
    ##IF '1' READ NMEA MESSAGES FROM gps.txt