Thread: Power Stone Collection-Review

Default Power Stone Collection-Review

POWER STONE COLLECTION

The origional Power Stone and Power Stone 2 games where some of the most remembered games ever to
    hit the Dreamcast.Now,like many of Capcoms games,it has been ported over to the PSP so PSP owners can enjoy the same thrill
    of Power Stone on the go.

The graphics and sounds are exactly the same quallity as the originals,so theres no improvement there.
    One of the things that playing this game brought to my attention was the similarity between the PSP's control layout
    and the Dreamcast's control layout. Because the buttons are in almost the exact same positions,the
    game plays just like the original. One of the new features is the abbility to change the screen ratio. This means you can play the game full screen,zoomed,or original,depending on which you prefare. One of the things that the original game was
    lacking was the abbility to switch camera mode,which sometimes made gameplay harder. Thankfully,
    different camera modes have been added in the PSP version.

The AI is the same as the original game. The players are hard to beat at first,but once you
    know all of the moves,they seem really easy to beat,making playing the game a few times feel repetative and boring.
    Playing as differnt characters gives you different moves which can also make the game easyier or harder to
    beat. But if you get sick of fighting the NPC's then you can have a 2-player game against a freind with the
    "gameshare" function,which allows you to send a playable demo to a freinds PSP to have a 2-player battle with them.
    Sadly there is only a gameshare option of Power Stone 2 and not Power Stone.

There are many items that can be used in Power Stone and Power Stone 2 to help you or the enemy
    such as swords,bombs and petrol bombs. In Power Stone,new items can be unlocked everytime you
    complete a 1 player game. Some of the un-lockable items are completely new to the PSP port,such as
    Footballs,giant boots and Twin Potion. There are alot more items available in Power Stone 2 thanks
    to its "mix" feature,which allows you to combine 2 items you collected in the game to make one,or
    sometimes two,new items. Aswell as unlockable items, Power Stone also has unlockable character. By beating the single player game,you can unlock the character from Power Stone 2. This was not on the original game.
    Another unlockable in the original games was the mini-games that you could download to the Dreamcast's VMU(Visual Memory Unit)and play on the go. This has also been ported and allows you to play unlocked mini-games on a on-screen VMU.

Overall,this is a great port for previous Power Stone fans or new players thanks to it being a pick-up-and-play game.It has 2 games and a VMU game mode so is great value for money and it has plenty of unlockables giving this game an extended lifespan.
    The single player game mode on Power Stone 1 can get repetative. The Gameshare option on Power Stone 2 is a great addition but there should be one for Power Stone too.

A great game for all ages.
    9/10

By HellsPlumber
    Please visit my site:
    www.geocities.com/HellsPlumber

little high on the review its fun and all put if you play the game off the umd the load times are real long thats part of the package. that alone in my mind brings it down to a 7.5 play it off the msd makes the game a lot better

what firmware does this game require, thats all i need to know

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Zero View Post
    what firmware does this game require, thats all i need to know
    obviously, the latest one

.....IS this like SMASH!!!!

hmm the dreamcast games were enjoyable because it was sort of kind of maybe a new idea. Upon putting it in my DC the other day I found it a little bit dull and repetitive. That isnt to say you will find some enjoyment out of this game.. but i think somthing more like a 7/10 would be more correct.

.....IS this like SMASH!!!!
    This has a few connections to the Smash Bros games like the weapons and the arena's occasionally do get intertwined in the gameplay, but honestly the controls arnt silky smooth like Smash Bros and you dont have the freaking huge character selection. What really hurts this game for me (on both the DC and I imagine the PSP) is the controls, Fighting games that require quick reflexes dont need these control types in my opinion. The 2.5 d (new mortal kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken and yes I know they are sort of fully 3d, but you now what I mean) control scheme just works better.

Now you do get a quality Capcom game (who make some of the best fighting and platforming games known to man). And you do get the Capcom style you know and love.. but frankly this game is generally over rated. If you have a way to try it before you buy it I recommend it.

Sweetness I might actually have to get this!
    ( O ) ( O )

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

Works on 2.71 se -b fine guys been playing it for a couple of weeks now,i personaly would score it 6 to 7 its ok but gets very repetitive very quickly.

Works fine on 1.5 Devhooked too Nice enough looking game and it plays well but it does get repetative

Thread Information