Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP PSOne Emulator details

psp PSP PSOne Emulator details

A Japanese gamer has today revealed some more information on PSP's elusive PSOne Emulator, which is included with the magical firmware 3.0 that was released 48 hours ago. Using the PS3, the gamer first bought three games: Tekken 2, Biohazard, and Jumping Flash. I hate to burst the bubble of those who are expecting for straightforward PSOne emulation, but Tekken 2 was around 542 MB and it took a very long time (around one hour) just to copy it to the memory stick.

Another flaw of the PSOne emulator is that, by default, the analog stick was made a replacement to PSP's lack of the L2 and R2 buttons. This means that moving the analog left = L2, right = R2 and up = L2+R2. This may be a little annoying, especially because it will hinder your ability to use the analog stick in-game.

Screen Modes available are Original, Normal, and Full. But according to the gamer's blog, there is quite a bit of lag when changing between these two modes. Also, the PS3 assigns a 'usage ticket' to the game, binding it so that it is playable only on a certain PSP. Presumably, you will need to register that PSP with the PS3 for the PSOne games to work.

video via

DCEmu Regular

Wow...it just gets better and better. Honestly to me psx emulation is not worth the wait anymore.

Thats awesome hopefully psx-p or the ac's emu will get to that kind of speed.

ugh...friggin sony. i give up on this emulator. used to be excited with sonys emu but...idk anymore

now that 3.00's been decrypted, developers should try dissasembling the PRXs to develop their emus, if its possible.
    ^.^

If 3.00 is dycripted dosent that mean a dev-hooked version could be done....(hey i dont know $#@! bout whats inside but the firmware....dont kill me if im asking stupid questions...)

DCEmu Rookie

Wow the analog stick being L2 and R2 is a really bad idea that would get confusing and does hinder the use of analog in games that have analog support and also use L2 and R2....yet there are no other buttons that can emulate L2 and R2. Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by hawke213x View Post
    Wow the analog stick being L2 and R2 is a really bad idea that would get confusing and does hinder the use of analog in games that have analog support and also use L2 and R2....yet there are no other buttons that can emulate L2 and R2. Hmm....
    Most PS1 games use analog and the d-pad for movement etc. So there is (as far as I know) no chance of what you mentioned above happening.

Also, In the emulator (from what I've heard) you can switch between using the d-pad as L2 and R2 and the analog as L2 and R2. The d-pad way sounds better as I'd rather use the analog for any movement and simply press the left or right d-pad button for L2/R2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gunntims0103 View Post
    A Japanese gamer has today revealed some more information on PSP's elusive PSOne Emulator, which is included with the magical firmware 3.0 that was released 48 hours ago. Using the PS3, the gamer first bought three games: Tekken 2, Biohazard, and Jumping Flash. I hate to burst the bubble of those who are expecting for straightforward PSOne emulation, but Tekken 2 was around 542 MB and it took a very long time (around one hour) just to copy it to the memory stick.

Another flaw of the PSOne emulator is that, by default, the analog stick was made a replacement to PSP's lack of the L2 and R2 buttons. This means that moving the analog left = L2, right = R2 and up = L2+R2. This may be a little annoying, especially because it will hinder your ability to use the analog stick in-game.

Screen Modes available are Original, Normal, and Full. But according to the gamer's blog, there is quite a bit of lag when changing between these two modes. Also, the PS3 assigns a 'usage ticket' to the game, binding it so that it is playable only on a certain PSP. Presumably, you will need to register that PSP with the PS3 for the PSOne games to work.

video via youtube
    coders/developers should take note of this
    "and find a way of getting the neccesary info from the ps3" (which should be easy)
    and tampering with it and make something compatable with the psp
    without the need of a ps3!

and by the way: Tekken2 only took me 18 mins to copy to my psp's memcard after ripping from the original disk (which I borrowed from someone) and doing the necccecary stuff to make it into an emulator comapatible file (3 letter "i" word) which only took a few mins,
    so that jap must have a very very slow (crappy) pc or a not very good memcard!

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by VampDude View Post
    so that jap must have a very very slow (crappy) pc or a not very good memcard!
    One: He copied it from his PS3 to PSP while docked. This may impact download speeds, as you used a PC to PSP. This is quite apparent for those who read the article. It explicitely states that you use your PS3 to do it. Not your PC. To say nothing of the fact about how long it took for them to download the image to their PS3 from Sony's network.

Two: "Jap" is actually oft considered a racial slur. Shortened, sure, but there's still meaning behind it. o_O Just wanted to toss that one out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information