Thread: Nintendo Hinting at HD-capable Wii?

Blog Entries

Rev Nintendo Hinting at HD-capable Wii?

It's barely been out for a few weeks yet rumor is already spreading that Nintendo has plans on releasing a high-def-capable Wii. In an interview with gaming site Game Informer, Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime states that Nintendo made "tough choices about not including a DVD player at the start, tough choices about not including high-definition capability at the start." Nintendo has already confirmed a DVD-playing Wii for Japan, so could this mean we can expect a high-def Wii in our future or is this just really hopeful thinking?

Crazy talk. "At the start" means "at the start of the project", not "at the start of Wii sales".

Nintendo isn't dumb enough to send mixed messages like that (they ain't Sony). This IS their bread and butter, and if they don't want to piss off the loyal, they don't send mixed messages.

hmm, nitntendo do really enjoy releasing multiple versions of the same console...so i actually expect it!

I was going to go towards the 360 for hi-def, but if the Wii will be able to do it...

Why can't I choose?!! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Video_freak View Post
    I was going to go towards the 360 for hi-def, but if the Wii will be able to do it...

Why can't I choose?!! :P
    well the current generation Wii will never do full high def...but nintendo might release an updated hardware version later...

DCEmu Newbie

Nintendo has stated that games in high def need to be coded twice. Once for high def once for low. This is why 360 and ps3 games cost 60$ it is essentailly 2 games of 1 disc. Nintendos next console may be high def only with a built in step down quality converter, but it is not likely that nintendo start to code its games twice, charge 60$ a game, and release a new console.

Thread Information