Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumour Mill Time - Portable Dreamcast Coming Soon ?

Blog Entries

Talking Rumour Mill Time - Portable Dreamcast Coming Soon ?

Christopher Price sent me this interesting bit of news/rumour

Not sure how "newsworthy" this is, but might be worth something of a news article...

Remember that DC-on-a-chip? Well, I couldn't ever get it out of my head, I mean, really, nobody makes a chipset that specific to a platform without some client that wants to buy it.

Well, doing some research, I found that Sega has handed the dreamcast.com domain name over to the Sega Mobile division, and Sega Mobile has taken their site into a "reconstruction" mode.

What I do know is that running articles with this kind of preliminary info generally does yield results, and technically DC-on-a-chip was doing some emulation, so I would be thrilled to see some article.

After all, a portable Dreamcast with a hard drive and in an iPod like configuration with an iTunes-style content purchasing system could quite well compete with the PSP... but you didn't hear that from me

Interesting eh

DCEmu Pro

Would this be a good time to get into handheld dev though? With a whole slew of portable consoles currently on the market I mean, but then a portable DC would have a massive back catalogue already. Maybe they would open it up GP32 style to the homebrew community. But then again this is entirely a whatif scenario, non?

Dream Coder

how soon we forget that the Dreamcast-on-a-chip was an overhyped product that wasnt actually a dreamcast on a chip, it was just a SIMILAR SH processor with a SIMILAR NEC chip put together. Odds are it wouldnt be at all backwards compatible with the DC.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Pro

i bow to your superior knowledge oh great quzar

Dream Coder

Its just a matter of reading the first thread where someone else went to the tech documents and looked up what went into it. all the parts are similar, so it would point to a dreamcast-like product, but are different in unknown ways making it impossible to know wether or not it will work properly.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Pro

yeah but it might, let us sega fan boys have our moments of great hope

Yeah, this guy has taken speculation in a whole new direction. This is how very false rumors get started.

It would have to be a pretty big handheld, with a good design it could work rather well but since SEGA completely sucks at design.. not to mention the chances of happening are next to nothing.

DCEmu Pro

sega and nokia teaming up, for the next generation n-gage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information