Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resistance = 17.75GB of garbage?

Blog Entries

ps3 Resistance = 17.75GB of garbage?

via joystiq

Resistance: Fall of Man was billed to be the defining game for why Blu-ray exists in the first place. Resistance developers Insomniac stated that the game took up 22GB of space and that all those bits and bytes were necessary to make the game work. It would seem that ripping the disk in Linux shows otherwise.

A NeoGAF forum member by the name of squatingyeti posted a long list of padding files on the Resistance disk; the padding took up approximately 17.75GB of space. Padding is frequently used to push data to the outer edges of the disk to improve read times, but Blu-ray is supposed to be a constant read over the entire disk.

It is possible that the data isn't fully true and we would like to see some confirmation. However, if this report that 81% of Resistance is just empty filler and could fit on a single-layer DVD is true, will this put a hole in Sony's claim that Blu-ray is absolutely necessary this generation? The padding isn't needed to make the read speeds any better and (if true) is a lame way for Sony to justify Blu-ray for gaming.

[Update 1] We got our answer, the entire thing is blown way out of proportion. There are still padding files, but they are a relatively meager 420MB per region.

So you pay more for a game with updated FMV footage? What a waste!

this actually wouldn't really surprise me. What is really needed this day and time to save space is higher/faster compressing and decrypting programs for games. What they need to do is in the time a game is loading up the drive it needs to cache memory it will use alot onto the hard drive. I know the xbox 360 does this but i don't think its in effect that much, because most of friends have not noticed any real big difference in having a hard drive or not on the xbox 360. I wouldn't know i dont own one.

ah...sony is such a liar so this seems the kind of thing that they would pull with the blu-ray discs

Blu Ray should have only been for high definition movies not game playing as it doesnt seem they have improved loading times... The guy that talks about the xbx360 and decrypstion timings is a really smart guy..

hmm if you quick review the history of consoles you will see that the games released 1-2 years never go to the limits of the hardware
    also if you look at what on gamediscs consumes the most space
    it is clearly FullMotionVideo
    to fill up a 40GB blueray disc youll need a huge amount of FMVs in HD resolution within the game

Just to point out that Joystiq have updated this article basically retracting this claim. i.e. it's BS.

Well, only Sony lies.

DCEmu Newbie

I agree with belialone alot of the first games on the ps2 were actually on CD but now nearly all the space on a dvd is being used up, it's just a matter of time before the massive space on blue ray is exploited by developers.

I dont understand why people compain about blueray surely bigger is better. (once upon a time we used cartridges for games but things move on)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information