Thread: Rare PS3 sneakers going for $4000+ at auction

Blog Entries

ps3 Rare PS3 sneakers going for $4000+ at auction

Via Joystiq

PlayStation 3s aren't the only thing fetching high prices at the auction house these days. Even PS3 sneakers (like the things that go on your feet if and when you leave the house) are commanding a premium. This limited edition pair of PlayStation 3-themed Nike Air Max sneakers (which normally retail for under $200) are currently valued at $4010 USD at shoe auction site Blue Sole (we can't believe shoe auction sites exist either ... we love you, Internet!).

Even though the insole features the PS3's "Play Beyond" tagline -- and unlike those working NES sneakers -- these aren't actually working PlayStation 3s. So what does your $4010 dollars (and counting!) get you? The aforementioned insole, the console's US launch date stitched on the back, a hologram "Swoosh" (a Nike first!), two pairs of shoelaces, a patent leather upper that mimics the PS3's heatsink (?), and "mechanical drawings of the PS3" inside the shoe. For some reason, the auction site doesn't have images of the really exclusive, bid-inducing stuff like, uh, the insole and mechanical drawings, but if staring at that 11.17.06 stitching gets your check-writing hand all twitchy, then rest comfortably knowing that "100% of the funds from this auction will go to charity." We don't know what charity, but you've got a week to find out. The auction ends on December 4th.

Screen Via Comments

DCEmu Legend

Wow thats just plain ridiculous... 80 dollars for a pair of sneaks is all that I'd ever pay, unless the damn things came equipped with in-sole rocket engines for your quick escapes.

their pretty $#@! but they're a collectors dream.

-!-
    /\

It's true that you can put PS3 on anything and it will make you a fortune. Scout's honor, there was a grilled cheese, yes a grilled cheese, with PS3 carved into it, not a coincidence, it was scratched into it, and it sold for $200 on ebay. If you want to make some money right now, and you don't have ethics, make something related to PS3 and sell it on ebay. I promise it will sell.

I was expecting Nike Air Force One brand PS3 shoes...

Oh well... *sighs*

DCEmu Legend

They look like $#@!... Really, like it seems if Nike really made these, it was because the designers and subsequent manufacturers were probably drunk and when the supervisor came in in the morning and saw what they had done, cancelled production.

No reason such crappy shoes should be limited to a release of 24. If they were indeed made as a collector's item, I think we'd see at the minimum 100 of them, with a maximum of 10,000... Not 24.

DCEmu Newbie

demn thats hot ...man if only i had that much paper to shed on some shoes.

im going to sell my soul on ebay and say its combined with the ps3's soul and it has +5 magic buff!

DCEmu Newbie

That is the same auction site as nookbay.com. Or at least they bought the html code from the same people because of that the site looks unprofessional.

Thread Information