Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DS Trampling PSP in Japan

Blog Entries

General games DS Trampling PSP in Japan

Via IGN

According to a new Famitsu Marketing survey, Sony's PlayStation Portable is getting walloped in Japan by Nintendo's DS. In November alone, the PSP sold a mere 86,000 units compared to nearly 550,000 DS Lites. More shocking are numbers for the first 11 months of the year, which show that Nintendo may have all but closed the door on PSP in Japan. The DS and DS Lite have sold more than 7.5 million units so far this year, with PSP selling just 1.6 million units.

Further troubling for Sony's portable system are its software sales in comparison to Nintendo. PSP has sold 2.8 million games to date this year, while Nintendo has sold 27 million games. This is what is referred to in business as a clobbering.

The battle is a bit closer in the U.S., though Nintendo retains a strong lead month-to-month. In November, likely the busiest sales month of the year, twice as many DS Lites were sold as PSPs.

Publicly, Sony has shown nothing but confidence for the future of the PSP. Despite having weaker sales numbers compared to DS, the PSP had a strong year in terms of quality software. Nine of the twelve PSP games to receive a 9.0 or higher from IGN were released in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    Via IGN
    Publicly, Sony has shown nothing but confidence for the future of the PSP. Despite having weaker sales numbers compared to DS, the PSP had a strong year in terms of quality software. Nine of the twelve PSP games to receive a 9.0 or higher from IGN were released in 2006.
    Nine of Twelve DS games were actually appealing. >_> I only have two PSP games: Metal Gear Ac!d and DarkStalkers (would've had MGA2, but dont have the money ;_

Either way, if anyone wants to feel better, the PSP might get a bump up with Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. >_>

man, i have 29 psp games, and i can only see like 9 ds games which are worth buying

pffft, all the newbie gamers buy the ds cause its cheaper and the games are child targeted

the psp games are for mature gamers....though most of us mature gamers are broke..thats the problem...lol

DCEmu Newbie

name 9 psp games worth buying...

DS is for kids, which have parents, and these parents have the money. Most ppl also don't understand the psp and what it can do and thats why they think the price is ridiculous.

My ASS... DS is for eveyone.

DS has better games in my opinion. and as masterpaul says, DS is for everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    In November alone, the PSP sold a mere 86,000 units compared to nearly 550,000 DS Lites. More shocking are numbers for the first 11 months of the year, which show that Nintendo may have all but closed the door on PSP in Japan. The DS and DS Lite have sold more than 7.5 million units so far this year, with PSP selling just 1.6 million units.

PSP has sold 2.8 million games to date this year, while Nintendo has sold 27 million games.
    550,000??? thats just over half a million, where exactly are all those DS units going???

the PSP has'nt sold as many games as the DS due to the vast majority of PSP users only playing homebrew and emulators, and the worse thing of all the availability of illegal full version games on the internet ready for download and play which affects sales!

I agree with VampDude. There are plenty PSP owners out there, but most of them (that I know) run devhook or se-c for non homebrew reasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve-b View Post
    I agree with VampDude. There are plenty PSP owners out there, but most of them (that I know) run devhook or se-c for non homebrew reasons.
    DevHook is'nt exactly for homebrew thou, it's for loading both illegal and commercial games. SONY have a lot of play in the marketplace for the PSP, firstly they should consider a price cut to narrow the price margin of the DS and PSP which they should've cut the price a few months ago on the leadup to christmas!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information