Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Complete Guide to Whats Needed for Homebrew on Each Console Updated

Blog Entries

Home/News The Complete Guide to Whats Needed for Homebrew on Each Console Updated

Want to know whats needed for homebrew on each console in a quick and easy guide then our UPDATED The Complete Guide to Whats Needed for Homebrew on Each Console may be just what you need, i had to update it because half the links were dead (the lik sang effect) and also the discovery of Gamecube Homebrew working on the Nintendo Wii was too good to miss.

Heres the consoles it covers:

Dreamcast
    Game Boy Advance
    Gamecube
    Gizmondo
    GP2X
    GP32
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo Wii
    Nokia N-Gage
    Playstation 2
    Playstation Portable
    Sega Saturn
    Tapwave Zodiac
    Xbox

The guide itself covers the basics of whats needed for homebrew on each console and links to shops if applicable for each item and links to sites for that console too. Check out the guide here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/homebrew-guide.php

DCEmu Regular

You can also mod the XBox by softmodding.

this guide should help some people.

DCEmu Newbie

Needed Tools

wraggster for the ps2 there is also the mmc card exploit way. Where you us e a ps1 disc to boot up an elf laucher. From this you can put elfs in a usb and boot them from there. Note this doesnot work on the simline, if you need help on how to do it send me a pm. This is the way i cheat on socom 2 and 3

maybe a stickie of some sort is in order this is very helpfull

Thanks for the post wraggster

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopKatt View Post
    You can also mod the XBox by softmodding.
    Yes you can. But a modchip is better though.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ExcruciationX View Post
    Yes you can. But a modchip is better though.
    Better how mine is softmodded and i have everything that you can have with a modchip installed really there's no point in risking installing one when there's softmodding much easier and less risks. Well unless you buy one with it installed already but really the modding part is what's fun for me so i never do that.

DCEmu Regular

A modchip is pretty much always the best thing. I would recommend softmodding if you are responsible enough to keep a backup of a working XBOX HDD and you know what you shouldn't delete.

Read on if you wanna softmod
    If you have the option, definately chip your XBox. But if you're really good with computers, good with knowing what to not delete, and you can't find someone to solder it for you, I would softmod. However, DO NOT USE SID. MAKE SURE YOU SOFTMOD WITH KRAYZIE'S NDURE INSTALLER. SID writes over the C partition which makes the dashboard a little faster, but it makes it harder to recover back to an unmodded state (it backs it up, but in a different place). It's also very unreliable and when I tried to make the XBox dash work, it screwed up, and I had to reformat my HDD with my backup to make it start again. So yeah, stay away from SID. KRAYZIE'S is very reliable and I've never had any problems with it. It's very customizeable and much more reliable. I only stopped using it because I bought a chip.

After a successful softmod, you definately should FTP a copy of the XBOX HDD to a safe place. That way, if anything goes wrong, you can use XBOXHDM and reformat your HDD with a working setup. The only catch is that XBOXHDM is a Linux program, so you need access to a PC for it to work. The most important thing to hold onto is your EEPROM. Always have this, because if your HDD gets locked and you don't have your EEPROM, you'll probably need a new HDD and you'll also need to get a modchip.

So in conclusion, try to buy a chip, but if you can't install it, just go ahead and try softmodding it with NDURE. I hope this helps anyone who is interested in softmodding.

I'll write a guide for xbox softmodding tomarrow.

On a side note. Krayzies installer isn't very good.

If you are going to softmod, I reccomend you use SID(softmod installer delux), then use the AID 3.0 disc. Its noob proof.

Also, softmods are better than mod chips. If you have even half a clue of what you are doing they are virtually impossible to mess up and can do everything a mod chip can do(even bios loading). Mod chips can easily break your xbox if you mess up the sodering even a little bit.

Plus, softmods are free, chips are not.

DCEmu Regular

I don't see how you could load a BIOS with a softmod. The only way I could see someone loading a modded BIOS without a chip is a TSOP flash, which also isn't a bad idea. But you really do need to know what you're doing if you install a softmod. If you don't want to screw up on soddering the chip, then get a professional to do it. It's very simple, and I doubt they'll charge much. Installing a chip is what scares a lot of people from doing it, but once it's in there, you'll be happy.

To be honest, all of the choices for modding an XBOX are very good choices, but chipping is much more reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information