Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabloid reports on child 'Killed by Game Boy'

Blog Entries

General games Tabloid reports on child 'Killed by Game Boy'

via gibiz

UK tabloid The Daily Mirror today leads with a story of a tragic holiday accident and a half-page headline stating: "Killed by Xmas Game Boy."

The story, also on the red top's website, tells of 7 year-old Connor O'Keefe, who was electrocuted while unplugging a charger in his hotel room in Thailand.

"There should be some kind of warning about different electrical currents you get abroad because this would not have happened in England," said the mother of the child, Kathleen Curry.

She also said that Connor was aware of the dangers of electricity, while police at the Sunset Beach Hotel in Phuket described the incident as a tragic accident.

All Game Boy handhelds come with numerous safety warnings in the manual and on printed leaflets, detailing consumer information and precautions. Instruction booklets also warn that devices 'must be used with the recommended power supply', and that they conform to the EEC's Low Voltage Directive.

Nintendo was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

First Sony, now Nintendo.

"There should be some kind of warning about different electrical currents you get abroad because this would not have happened in England"
    There IS a warning...It's called the "Health and safety precautions booklet". Still, poor kid...
    I was asked to memorise what I did not understand; and, my memory being so good, it refused to be insulted in that manner. ~Aleister Crowley (1875-1947)

That's sad to hear someone killed for simply unplugging a battery charger from the mains outlet.

HE JUST UNPLUGGED A SOCKET ????

i cant beleive this...

This is obviously a tragedy for the parents and people who knew him, but i think the title is a little misleading. The power point caused his death, it could have been any device on the other end.

The story is light on details, but if the voltage was different in Thailand would the pin pattern of their AC outlets not also be different? Meaning the GBA would have either required a local power cable or an adaptor.

GBA charger cables have the transformer on the plug not in-line like a psp's so there is little chance of a damaged cable causing the accident.

I heard he was wet from the swimming pool at the time he unplugged.

Yup, I heard the same, he hadnt dried himself before unplugging his gameboy...

It's tragic sure, but my mum and dad always enforced the dangers of switching off a light switch with wet hands when I was young - therefore I was always more wary through the following years.

I'm not saying "its the parents fault" but, unless the socket was exceptionally badly maintained, theyre reaction of "We are making a plea for a change in regulations...blah blah blah" can only be seen as someone looking for reason and a responsible party during a time that is hard for parents to cope with.

The headline "Boy killed by Game Boy" just boils my blood...

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Yup, I heard the same, he hadnt dried himself before unplugging his gameboy...

It's tragic sure, but my mum and dad always enforced the dangers of switching off a light switch with wet hands when I was young - therefore I was always more wary through the following years.

I'm not saying "its the parents fault" but, unless the socket was exceptionally badly maintained, theyre reaction of "We are making a plea for a change in regulations...blah blah blah" can only be seen as someone looking for reason and a responsible party during a time that is hard for parents to cope with.

The headline "Boy killed by Game Boy" just boils my blood...
    well said

sad but it could of been anything, not just a game boy...

I just heard it on the news and it reported he had wet hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information