Thread: PSP's million sellers

Blog Entries

psp PSP's million sellers

via pspfanboy

Have you ever wondered how many games on the PSP have earned the Achievement of selling more than a million copies? According to data compiled from VG Charts, there are eight games so far that have sold such a mythic amount of copies. As expected, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories tops the charts, with a whopping 3.49 million copies sold! And that's with zero sold in Japan. Taking a look at the charts, it's clear that the Japanese have very different tastes than the Americans. For example, while Star Wars: Battlefront II did surprisingly well here, it was barely noticed in Japan. Monster Hunter Portable, on the other hand, became a million seller almost by itself in Japan.

While the PSP has an impressive share of game sales, it still needs to think of a cross-cultural hit if it's ever to succeed like the Nintendo DS. The rival console has produced 21 million sellers so far, and cross-cultural successes (like Nintendogs and Brain Age) undoubtedly helped a lot.

Screen Via Comments

thats only cuz ppl wanted to downgrade and use eloader :P but its a great game, i am still trying to beat it. san andreas stories is going to sell more i bet

DCEmu Newbie

thats pretty pathetic. Arent there over 10million PSP's sold worldwide?!?! have like 8 million of us simply refused to update?

what the cell is going on here...

i think this is misleading. you look at the DS. i bet of the 21 'million sellers', 10 of them are Pokemon games. which are basically the same games but with minor differences. the Japanese lap them up and Nintendo peddle the same $#@!e.

that is what i dont get when so many people praise the DS and Wii. look at the lineup. it is even more unoriginal than the PSP (which is 99% port too).

see, there are more gamers in japan lol, and alls they do is buy nintendo games(DS).

look at all the zeroes lol

Quote Originally Posted by snkrock25 View Post
    thats pretty pathetic. Arent there over 10million PSP's sold worldwide?!?! have like 8 million of us simply refused to update?

what the cell is going on here...
    umm wrong, not everyone would like one game
    GTA is popular yes, but in the west, i at first didnt like GTA, but now like it

there are alot of psp owners who never bought it because one, they dont like it, two never played it, or three like the japanese are stuck glued to their faces to their DS's with their anime based video games

Thread Information