Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Apple iPhone runs OS X

Blog Entries

ipod The Apple iPhone runs OS X

via engadget

Capping literally years of speculation on perhaps the most intensely followed unconfirmed product in Apple's history -- and that's saying a lot -- the iPhone has been announced today in collaboration with Cingular. Yeah, we said it: "iPhone," the name the entire free world had all but unanimously christened it from the time it'd been nothing more than a twinkle in Stevie J's eye (comments, Cisco?). Sweet, glorious specs of the 11.6 millimeter device (that's frickin' thin, by the way) include a 3.5-inch wide touchscreen display with multi-touch support, 2 megapixel cam, 8 GB of storage, and 3G radio -- and amazingly, it somehow runs OS X. A proximity sensor disables the touchscreen when it's close to your face, while the iTunes support rocks CoverFlow. In a twisted way, this is one rumor mill we're almost sad to see grind to a halt; after all, when is the next time we're going to have an opportunity to run this picture?

Awesome! I want one!

i need one!!

Apple kicks *** man! take that Microsoft *******
    I don't go on here much anymore. Find me on GBAtemp.

Quote Originally Posted by max482wert View Post
    Apple kicks *** man! take that Microsoft *******

Your saying that now. Wait untill you hear the price.
    According to Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone , the Apple iPhone will cost about the same as the Playstation 3.

4GB iPhone = $499
    8GB iPhone = $599
    Dont forget those monthly charges
    Dont forget the cost of music and video
    Dont forget the cost of the iPhone carrying case(s)
    The list continues....

.....wont be available in Europe untill Q4 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by woods05 View Post
    Your saying that now. Wait untill you hear the price.
    According to Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone , the Apple iPhone will cost about the same as the Playstation 3.

4GB iPhone = $499
    8GB iPhone = $599
    Dont forget those monthly charges
    Dont forget the cost of music and video
    Dont forget the cost of the iPhone carrying case(s)
    The list continues....

.....wont be available in Europe untill Q4 2007.
    i would rather have this than a ps3 though, this seems much more useful and its almost perfect
    4 and 1/2 stars Apple :thumbup:

Bloody heck. If this is half as good as it's promised to be then this is it. Not keen on the fact that it's touchscreen only, but if this runs a full featured OS X in addition to being a phone with MP3 player and decent digital camera, there's no getting around this being the new must have portable device. Just wish that it wasn't a Cingular exclusive. With any luck it'll be easily unlockable.

...And about the price... That's cheep for a phone that promises every thing that this one does. Well, it's not cheep, but new high end phones regularly go for about that price (and more!) already. I wouldn't shell out that much for a PS3 because a PS3 really isn't that usefull. It just sits around and gathers dust most of the time and I'm no where near as likely to play games on it as I am on my PSP. But this! Useful everyday! It'd almost certainly be worth the current price, but hopefully it'll come down a bit by the time the Cingular exclusivity is dropped. (Like how the Razr started out at $600 as a Cingular exclusive, and can now be used with any carrier at a cost of well under $100.)

Plus, if this runs OS X, then music and video will only cost if you're enough of a sucker (or rich enough, or busy enough) to pay extra for them. Carrying cases are for weenies anyway, and where are there any indications that there will be any additional monthly charges for using this?

So far there doesn't seem to be any real big downsides to this. We'll all just have to see once it comes out though (!_!)

DCEmu Rookie

With this phone they've just knocked MS out of the park! The gaming possibilities are endless, as far as price is concerned all new phones come out with a high price tag but soon after they get subsidised by service providers. Millions of people always want the next new phone and this is it, gonna be huge.

This will no doubt be available for free on a contract. I'm so gonna get one.

Quote Originally Posted by b8a View Post
    Bloody heck. If this is half as good as it's promised to be then this is it. Not keen on the fact that it's touchscreen only, but if this runs a full featured OS X in addition to being a phone with MP3 player and decent digital camera, there's no getting around this being the new must have portable device. Just wish that it wasn't a Cingular exclusive. With any luck it'll be easily unlockable.

...And about the price... That's cheep for a phone that promises every thing that this one does. Well, it's not cheep, but new high end phones regularly go for about that price (and more!) already. I wouldn't shell out that much for a PS3 because a PS3 really isn't that usefull. It just sits around and gathers dust most of the time and I'm no where near as likely to play games on it as I am on my PSP. But this! Useful everyday! It'd almost certainly be worth the current price, but hopefully it'll come down a bit by the time the Cingular exclusivity is dropped. (Like how the Razr started out at $600 as a Cingular exclusive, and can now be used with any carrier at a cost of well under $100.)

Plus, if this runs OS X, then music and video will only cost if you're enough of a sucker (or rich enough, or busy enough) to pay extra for them. Carrying cases are for weenies anyway, and where are there any indications that there will be any additional monthly charges for using this?

So far there doesn't seem to be any real big downsides to this. We'll all just have to see once it comes out though (!_!)
    Quote Originally Posted by emuking View Post
    i would rather have this than a ps3 though, this seems much more useful and its almost perfect
    4 and 1/2 stars Apple :thumbup:
    Quote Originally Posted by dejkirkby View Post
    This will no doubt be available for free on a contract. I'm so gonna get one.
    first of all, this will be $500 and $600 and not free.
    Second of all, if something $500 or $600 is "cheap" to you, then you don't have any problems.

The thing about expensive portable things is that when they fall and shatter like a glass you've lost something valuable.
    or they get stolen

It has been rumored that the battery life is short.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information