Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not built in rumble on a portable?

Blog Entries

psp Why not built in rumble on a portable?

Via PSPfanboy

There sure has been a lot of hoopla over the PS3s lack of rumble. Gamers everywhere are decrying how this missing feature will make games less immersive and enjoyable. But yet, when it comes to gaming, there is a double standard between what is expected on a portable versus that of a console. There have been many generations of portables since the rumble feature was first introduced to gaming and yet, it has yet to be a standard feature on any handheld, it has just been built into a few game cartridges. Wouldn't that portable first-person shooter or driving game benefit from the inclusion of force feedback? The DS has a built in microphone and the PSP can browse the web, but neither have a feature that is standard on nearly every console for over two generations.

Sure, some would argue that they don't need yet another feature that would help drain battery life, but like many feaures on a portable, it could be turned off if the user preferred. A handheld also has the screen built in, so if it were to rumble it would have to be low enough that it didn't have the screen shaking in your hand. But even this problem would be easily solved with minimal tweaking. So it seems that the lack of inclusion has little to do with technical issues. The main reason rumble is likely not included in portables is simply because gamers don't seem to be asking for it.

But why does lack of rumble hurt a console's prospect in so many gamer's eyes, yet is okay when it's lacking on their portable of choice? If you had the option, would you want it included in your next PSP or DS?

Less refunds because people dropped them? >_<

Either way, holding the PSP for a long time screws up your hands enough without rumble, thanks

DCEmu Rookie

Shure why not and at the same time why not give us DVB-T and DVB-H or possibly DVB-S2 gee I'd wonder how still I'd have to be in order to watch the BBC HD Channel on that?!

Point is the PSP™ does a good enough job on it's own at sucking down the Juice!
    Rumble (e.g. ForceFeedback), would suck down even MORE! Upshot lower Batterie Life!

Besides doesn't S0NYŽ™ have a beef with Immersion (i.e. the ForceFeedback B*stards that stole my M$ Flight-Sim Stick from the Market),.

I was under the understanding that by not backing Immersions 'Patents' S0NYŽ™ would do more harm to Immersion, by refuseing to back it!

Quote Originally Posted by eatnooM View Post
    Less refunds because people dropped them? >_<

Either way, holding the PSP for a long time screws up your hands enough without rumble, thanks
    Too true that!!

battery life is all i can see that would stop rumble on a portable console.
    -Xiofire
    PS: posting from my Wii

well it seems not that many people can hold a wii remote properly, so how would rumble effect a handheld...

battery life, yes... good point.

i was thinking "weight" and "physical size of the rumble pack" being an issue myself!

Weight... possibly. and there is a few good things here

DCEmu Newbie

Actually, I seem to recall that the N-Gage used the vibrate feature for one or two of it's games... not that I ever owned one *cough*

a) It would completely drain the battery.
    b) It would make it far heavier, which is a big deal for a handheld.
    c) The motors will need extra room, thus making the overall handheld bigger.
    d) Vibration isn't ideal for a device that houses all of the machines circuitry etc.
    e) Who even notices rumble anymore?

PSPFanboy doesn't know what it's (he's?) talking about. It's a stupid, pointless idea.

Rumble on a portable? That's a horrible idea! Rumble is annoying enough on controllers for full-size consoles, but when your whole system is shaking, that would be extremely annoying.
    And you'd have to get the whole damn system fixed if the rumble stopped working at any point. Rumble wouldn't somehow "increase immersion" or anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information