Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HD DVD Vs Blu-ray: HD-DVD goes beyond 50GB with new disc

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

General games HD DVD Vs Blu-ray: HD-DVD goes beyond 50GB with new disc

Toshiba has announced a new 51GB HD-DVD Rom disc at this year's CES.

Beating Blu-ray by 1GB, Toshiba today said that they had successfully created a triple layer HD-DVD disc that could contain 51GB worth of data with 17GB on each layer.

"Continued improvement in disc mastering technology has achieved further minimization in the recording pit, supporting a further boost in capacity to 17GB in single layer and a full 51GB on a single-sided triple-layer disc. Toshiba has confirmed the disc structure and its successful operation." said the press release. "This time-tested physical structure offers proven volume manufacturing at little cost increment."

Toshiba has now closed the storage gab with Blu-ray, which can store 50GB on a dual-layered disc.
    Source

Not sure if existing HD DVD players can read the new disc (I'm guessing they can). If so, this makes things interesting!

but the name blu-ray sounds so much cooler

DCEmu Rookie

from what i read early on sony were claiming with blue ray they could go up to 6 layers giving them 200gb of storage be interesting if sony do that as it would blow hd dvd out of the water considering they needed 3 to match a dual layer blue ray

Unhappy Poor Sony

This doesn't bode well for Blue Ray. Blue Ray is considerably more expensive than HD-DVD, and it's introduccion to the market has been beset with delays and bad publicity, so if it can't offer a significant practical advantage over its competitor, Sony might have another impending disaster on its way.

What do the experts who know about this stuff have to say about this: assuming BD can hold up to 25GB per layer (is that right?), then, I wonder if they can create a triple layered Blue Ray disc with a storage of 75GB.

I mean, even if they can... who needs a disc with such monstrous storage capacity, as nice as it sounds.

DCEmu Old Pro

ok now im screwing sony

down with sony. more of an evil empire than microsoft, i hate to say

DCEmu Newbie

200GB BR discs can be produced... TDK made some although I doubt that existing BR players can read them if the 200GB discs come into production at some point in the future

HD-DVD all the way! What am I basing that fulè weight of support on? *shrugs* HD-DVD!!!!

DCEmu Rookie

Damn High-Density Digital Versatile Disc is set to trounce ol Billy-Ray™!
    First this, and now the news that S0NY®™ is refusing to print Pr0nz on it's supper-soar-away Billy-Ray™ Format, means that all the Cat-Calls over ßeta-Ray, ßetamax² are going to be well founded indeed!!!

Good-bye S0NY®™ you are the 'Weakest Link'®™...

PSP Coder

This really does not matter. I am not sure on the full limits but I remember blu-ray was planned with the idea of making up to 4 layers ideal (25GB per layer).

I say by next year CES sony will anounce that B-R pushes 100GB just to mock toshiba.

Blu-ray is also suppost to have more advantages over HD-DVD other then just capasity.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information