Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drastic Compression for PS1 games on PSP

psp Drastic Compression for PS1 games on PSP

Some informative information on playing PS1 games on your PSP has come to light. 1gig memory stick users should read on.

The following method should help to make PS1games run without all the extra padding originally placed on the disc. If you're wondering what that means, it's this: Imagine playing a 500MB game using only 50 MB of space.

You'll need something called CDGenPS2. If you follow the steps, you should be able to get a game to play with a drastically smaller file size. Its Still in the test Stages, but has proven to work on a number of games.

PS1 and PS2 games use a very strict architecture for how the binary files of the games are organized on a discs. When a disc copying program copies these discs, it's known that they will leave the padding of empty bits (0xFF) for the remainder of the XXXMB media.

For example, Tetris Plus for the PS1 has a total file size on the disc of 43.0 MB and the image from CloneCD is 566MB. However, if you try to remove the padding from a disc, it will no longer work with emulators, including POPS. A utility for those who load games from their PS2 hard drives to lessen the size of the images, known as CDGENPS2 (Much like UMD-GEN), has the ability to remove this padding and keep the structure of the disc intact. Using this utility with some software that can extract an ISO to its contents can bring the 566MB Tetris Plus image down to about 50MB (POPS compresses it to about 400MB).

How to do it:

1. Extract the ISO contents to a folder on your hard drive.
    2. Open that folder and select ALL of the extracted contents from the root of the disc.
    3. Open CDGENPS2.
    4. Drag the contents of the folder into the CDGENPS2 window (the giant white space that says ISO near the top)
    5. (Optional) Go to file-> Edit Volume and change the name of the volume so that it matches the original title of the game (for archival reasons only).
    6. Click the IMG button on the left-hand side of the screen and save the Bin/ISO/IMG to whatever directory you want , and use POPS to convert to PSP EBOOT and test it.

Play around with CDGenPS2 and post up your results. You can download it right here (Windows users only). This software is Freeware.

Again, this is only in testing stages and some games may not work, but it cant harm to try

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

This sounds realy good i'm going to go and try this now and hopefully this with help fit more of my PS1 games on my memory stick

yea once Im done with the downgrading of my GFs Brothers PSP, Im gonna do alot of testing with it tonight with my own PSP.

Wow...can't wait until this gets refined. (I'm assuming, of course that this is the kind of thing that makes a big enough stir to get itself refined.)

This is really awesome news if it works as well as hoped. Just imagine putting your WHOLE PS1 collection on one memory stick and still have room leftover for your PSP games :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    yea once Im done with the downgrading of my GFs Brothers PSP, Im gonna do alot of testing with it tonight with my own PSP.
    Don't worry the downgrade only takes 5 minutes so you'll be able to test away and hopefully get some smaller games on your memory card

yea, it would be awesome to hold every disc of FF IX on a single 1gig card... without lag. I'll post up my results when I get a chance

Anyone tested a game yet ?

After I make a new image in CDGenPS2, there doesn't seem to be a single bit of compression or anything removed. The ISO is just as big as before and doesn't compress any differently to PBP.

This is good, shame i dont use ps1 games on my psp

what version of cdgenps2 are you guys using because i can only find the older versions

sry i didnt see the d/l

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information