Thread: Record Orders for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd

Blog Entries

psp Record Orders for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd

via ign

Following last year's surprise retail performance from Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, it looks like Japan is getting set for another PSP hit. A well-known retailer blog reports today that retail orders for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd, due for Japanese release on February 22, are closing in on the 500,000 mark.

Such demand is rare for PSP titles. In fact, the blog states that only two titles, SD Gundam G Generation Portable and Portable Ops, have seen initial orders top the 150,000 mark.

This success shouldn't come as too much of a surprise given sales of the original. Monster Hunter Portable (known as Monster Hunter Freedom in America) sold over 650,000 units through its standard edition. On top of this, the blog reports that the game's budget version sold 200,000 units, placing the Capcom title well above the system's previous hot shot, Minna no Golf Portable.

i guess you could say its the WoW of the psp

Quote Originally Posted by g00gy View Post
    i guess you could say its the WoW of the psp
    Agreed:thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

I think the moral of the story is gamers want NEW and ORIGINAL titles for the PSP, not rehashed PS2 games like Blitz, Mortal Kombat, or need for speed.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by solid12345 View Post
    I think the moral of the story is gamers want NEW and ORIGINAL titles for the PSP, not rehashed PS2 games like Blitz, Mortal Kombat, or need for speed.

that's funny
    i thought monster hunter portable was a remake of the monster hunter 2, and metal gear solid portable ops, was based on metal gear solid 3.

silly me.

come to think of it, minna no golf portable isn't based on the popular series with 5 titles on the playstation franchise. and SD Gundam G Generation isn't a sequel.

hell, animal crossing, the best selling game on the NDS sure isn't a sequel now, is it?

there goes the theory that sony and nintendo gamers want NEW and ORIGINAL games.

DCEmu Legend

psp I know I'll be getting this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenn View Post
    that's funny
    i thought monster hunter portable was a remake of the monster hunter 2, and metal gear solid portable ops, was based on metal gear solid 3.
    These games were built specifically for the PSP from the ground up. Sure they come from already existing franchises but you can't compare a game like MGS: PO to the likes of say.... a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater port.

MGS: PO uses the MGS 3 engine but the game is original. SO I will say again that the PSP will do better with more games like these. Original & exclusive.

Just look at how you can use a GPS to track other MGS: PO players around the globe.

Something similar would be cool in Monster Hunter Freedom 2. Where you can go on quests with other people who are NOT sitting in the same room as you.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    These games were built specifically for the PSP from the ground up. Sure they come from already existing franchises but you can't compare a game like MGS: PO to the likes of say.... a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater port.

MGS: PO uses the MGS 3 engine but the game is original. SO I will say again that the PSP will do better with more games like these. Original & exclusive.

Just look at how you can use a GPS to track other MGS: PO players around the globe.

Something similar would be cool in Monster Hunter Freedom 2. Where you can go on quests with other people who are NOT sitting in the same room as you.
    actually, that's not true.
    of course i made a mistake myself, by saying it was a port of MH2. actually, monster hunter portable is a direct port of Monster Hunter G. there's no room for argument on that.

but anyway. i'd also like to see infrastructure on MHP2

Quote Originally Posted by Cenn
    but anyway. i'd also like to see infrastructure on MHP2
    that sounds good to me

Thread Information