Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PSP2600: Atari 2600 emulator for PSP v1.0.1

Zx-81 ! ! ! You are my hero too ! :-)

Thanks so much ! !

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by carpy View Post
    Yeah, well sort of. It was not so much different frames, as displaying them at a different(lower) frequency, so they could display more sprites on screen at the same time.

This is what I was trying to explain with out getting to technical about it. but thanks for pointing it out:thumbup:
    Here is my reasoning for suspecting this to be the cause of the dark flicker.
    59.997Hz interlaced or 30fps, sprites @ every other frame or every 4 Hz or 15 times a second and if you cut that by a third youve got a sprite showing up just 10 times a second. I just wasn't sure if the emus 60fps was a true 60fps or just a deinterlaced 30fps. Of course

I didn't think about buffering either as I'm an electronics dude and not a programer and of course the original 2600 does not have anything like that.

DCEmu Rookie

Right. The 2600 didn't have buffering capabilites at all. It relied entirely on the timing of the 60hz NTSC cycle to update the video.

Which is why Activision's games on the 2600 are the most impressive, visually. Their programmers were expressly forbidden from developing any games with the 30hz flickering.

DCEmu Rookie

ZX!!!!!

You are freakin awsome...2600 already!
    I so can't wait to try this out!!!

If I were rich I would make you a millionaire...
    If I were a woman I would make your babies!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I told you there were alot of people waiting for a better release!

DCEmu Rookie

initial test with space invaders and pitfall etc...they look great aside from the hard to see fire in space invaders problem discusssed earlier here...but there is one major problem...the pitch of the sound effects is much to high....maybe an entire octave.....

ZX...is there a way assuming we can send you some sort of link to a real sound effect that the pitch of the Audio can be lowered...I don't recall PC stella having the sound effects this high pitched but maybe?
    Of course if it's too difficult...
    Just curious....I spent many an hour playing Atari 2600 as a kid...and have those games burned into my brain....I notice the little things

Althought this is a great emulator its NOT the best atleast for the windows OS IMO. I have found that although stella is great overall, it lacks 100% true sound emulation. Having played atari forever it seems, I have all of the sounds of my favorite game (Frostbite) tattoo'd in my brain, and although game play on stella is 100% the sounds are lacking... one emu that I know is opensource that seems to have 100% sound emulation is Z26. (http://www.whimsey.com/z26/z26.html) it would be nice if someone could mess around with this emu, and get it running on PSP.

PS - There is a Linux source as well at the link above.

Nice job though! please don't get me wrong I'm not bashing this release as its not a flaw of the port rather of the emulator. If you don't believe me, play frostbite with stella then play it with z26 you will here the differences. but again nice job :thumbup:

DCEmu Rookie

Yeah I guess Stella PC was off too...audio wise.
    I've noticed some curious things that are probably more Atari hardware/software issues then emu's or ports...

The flicker problem...using asteroids I found using frameskip of 1-3 made the asteroids solid but then your ship dissapears OR when you start all that is there is your ship....
    Must be due to the coding tricks they used for more objects on screen I've read about....

Obviously the sound...which appears to be complete...just at a higher pitch. Not like it's corrupted or missing...
    My guess...Stella coder didn't play much Atari if at all or didn't remember what the sounds were like and just got sound working and quit.

Definite problem with space invaders projectile color...this I believe is once again due to the trick used to add more sprites to the screen...not an emu problem...
    Not sure what could be done...

Quiting using home button...freezes my PSP...can't understand why.

All in all....version 1.0.1 appears much better that Stella PSP for me....if this gets to 1.0.4 like the 7800 emu it too may be perfect.
    Thanks ZX...you have done exactly as I expected!
    Made a really good one here!
    I love it! Thanks so much!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Poem58 View Post
    Definite problem with space invaders projectile color...this I believe is once again due to the trick used to add more sprites to the screen...not an emu problem...
    Not sure what could be done...

Quiting using home button...freezes my PSP...can't understand why.

I'm pretty sure it is because if you can line up one of your shots to pass directly over one of the invaders shots it will turn white as it passes which makes it lool like they are rendered on two different frames.

Home button made mine feeze after getting the rom count down enough to display them (see earlier post) so I just use the L+R+S or the exit from the menu.

Again thanks Zx I played for about 2 hours last night

After reading through the thread I installed the emulator this morning and broke my ROM directory into #-M and N-Z. It works fine that way so I avoided the one big issue so far without any headaches.

1) I absolutely love the interface to this emulator.
    - It has a lot of color to it and you can change the background.jpg file. I grabbed the black background with the angled Pitfall screenshot from earlier in the thread.
    - "Tabbing" through the rom files using the left/right buttons instead of forced scrolling.

2) Much better options in this emulator than the StellaPSP.
    - Full screen, 1.25x and normal resolutions
    - Key mapping possible for each game
    - screenshots
    - 5 save states per game

3) From an "anal organizer"(me) or "easy set-up" standpoint I like the fact everything is in ONE place(rom count limit notwithstanding) and not on different areas of the card.

These are all the same reasons I like ZX's 7800, Intellivision(no save states though) and ColecoVision emulators also... It's the same interface I like using already.

A big "Thank You!" from me ZX. I love your work! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Poem58 View Post
    initial test with space invaders and pitfall etc...they look great aside from the hard to see fire in space invaders problem discusssed earlier here...but there is one major problem...the pitch of the sound effects is much to high....maybe an entire octave.....
    Stella sound samples should be played at 33Khz, and they are played at 44K in the PSP version ... This might explain your problem. I have to add a 33k to 44k audio conversion ...
    here is my blog !

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoks rule
    The more you fail, the more you have a chance that it will work in the end.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information