Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

DCEmu_Newsposter

Default Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

Ive read on other sites about discussion about Chankast the excellent Dreamcast emulator for windows being ported to the Xbox, well on IRC yesterday (#dcemu efnet) i was told that yes its being worked on. Cant tell anymore than that but its very true.[br][br]More news as it happens

Default Re: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

I will like to add a little more news to this. My buddy i speak to on msn has the xbox and visits evolution regularly. I dont know if he uses IRC or uses the forums but he talks to some people and what my buddy told me was that the emu runs the games at full speed. It still has some problems as it is in its beta right now but i think by next month there should be release. I dont know if its true but this is what my friend has told me.

Eric

Well I need to get my xbox modded if thats true!

Blog Entries

Id rather play Chankast on the Xbox than any pc to be honest.

well i am thinking about xbox even more but i dont really see the reason to be playing it on xbox unless the graphics are being boosted up a bit other then that again this might have problems playing the homebrew games and like chankast not being able to play the very few dreamcast games online i might just stick with the dreamcast i dont know as of yet

Blog Entries

if you have a Dreamcast you wouldnt want to use a Dreamcast emulator anyway :P

DCEmu Coder

hi people!

Full Speed!!! hahahaha

Guess what, or Chankast is more like a wrapper then a emulator or it is all Assembly over Xbox. The video emulation is a wrapper as DC, PC and Xbox use the DirectX api. But you need to emulate the CPU and i know that the best way to do that is in Assembly. Why? Because you can do in Assembly things like using a instrution to emulate a instrution and it takes less CPU use by doing that. In assemly you can find other ways to do things that in C/C++ would take more CPU cycles. I hope i made me understand. ;D If that is true then you would be able to run Chancast in a PC (Celeron CPU at ~700Mhz). Anyway the L cache is very importante for a emu too.

Iam only realistic

-Mekanaizer-.
    &&
    Don't dream, play DreamCast!!!

Dream Coder

There is no way that it will work to play any (good) commercial games. The SH-4 in the Dreamcast is capable of a number of Floating point calculations per second that is equivilant to a P3 733. And that is maximum possible on both. It would literally have to have 0 overhead, which is impossible.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Ive been informed that garrofi is working on a new dynarec(or whatever that is)

Dream Coder

No. It dosnt matter how efficient it is. It would literally have to run faster than 1:1. Like, it would have to make the xbox run the code faster than it can. I dont know how to explain it, but basically the power of the two chips in one distinct realm (floating point computations) is equal, so it would require for the emulator to be able to run the code natively, which is impossible. Since most people understand only in MHz, the 200Mhz Sh4 is equal to a 733Mhz P3 in some areas. Because of that, it would have to run exactly as fast as is theoretically possible.

Lets see if there is a better way to say this. It would be like emulating a Dreamcast on a 200Mhz computer. Its impossible. Might that help?
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information