Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

DCEmu Coder

Default Re: Chankast to Xbox Port Rumour

they don't loose as much as they used to, especially when it comes the end of the fist year, in the 2nd year they're already breaking even on the hardware. But that's why I say defeat some of the hardware. leave
    up to simple triangle functions, and simple audio. And
    create a Eula on the box that no profit can be derived from the homebrew. Given there's a good homebrew base of emulators, classic games etc.. it won't compete directly with the commercial games.. Odds are even the hardcore homebrew fan will still buy the 6-8 titles needed to get double in profit.

DCEmu Pro

fair enough, i suppose u could write in the EULA that some homebrew can be sold by Ninty if its good enough. (ie out doing the comercial games) or a collection of homebrew games, at a reduced price, and ninty make the money. For those who can't d/l it.

I didn't read the whole thread but there was a lot of misinformation in this thread.

1. Xbox doesn't read dvd's backwards, I have 2 xbox's and when you eject with an original game in, it's spinning the same way as a dvd movie does. I've heard the same rumour about GC discs as well and even GDroms when they first came out this is a persistent rumour not based in fact. Ask over on xbox-scene.com in the dvd forums if you don't believe me.

2. The xbox CPU is a P3 733 celeron with 128K secondary cache yes, but it has a much improved primary cache.

took from this website
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1561&p=2

The CPU that powers the Xbox is a Coppermine based Pentium III with only 128KB L2 cache. While this would make many think that the processor is indeed a Celeron, one of the key performance factors of the Pentium III that is lost in the Celeron core was left intact for this core. The Coppermine core was left with an 8-way set associative L2 cache instead of the 4-way set associative cache of the Celeron. Based on what we've seen with the Coppermine and Coppermine128 (Celeron) cores we estimate that the 8-way set associative L2 cache gives this particular core a 10% performance advantage over the Coppermine128 core of the Celeron

As said earlier the xbox doesn't have the grunt for floating point, I believe Chankast (In it's present form) heavily uses SSE2 which is probably used extensively for the floating point operations, the xbox does not support SSE2 although the P3 floating point core wasn't all that bad.

I think that even if they do get chankast running nicely on 733 P3's the xbox just doesn't have the ram for it.

I'm glad I kept my DC now and the reason I bought and chipped my xbox was because of homebrew which I got into because of my DC.

That was the whole reason why i got my DC and with in this year desertboy you will find alot more amazing things coming soon

Dream Coder

Chankast does not use SSE2. If it did it wouldnt run on Althon XPs.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

[quote author=quzar link=board=DCPCEmu;num=1090323867;start=90#104 date=08/02/04 at 13:48:34]Chankast does not use SSE2. If it did it wouldnt run on Althon XPs.[/quote]

My bad, I thought it was SSE2 but it's only SSE it uses extensively.

Still Xbox port is very unlikely and to be honest if it was ported the majority of people using this would be warez $#@!s. The xbox scene is full of them and they wouldn't be using their BBA's or serial cables to rip their games there'd be using popular BT sites instead.

Oh and it would have to be compiled with M$ SDK which would be illegal as well. (Never proven in court but obvious)

DCEmu Rookie

Well of course they'd use it for warez. They don't even need a DC anymore, hurray.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information