Thread: Nvidia Says Graphics Matter

Blog Entries

Rev Nvidia Says Graphics Matter

via ign

Nvidia, one of the world's leading producers of graphics processing technology, seems to differ in opinion from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata on the subject of game visuals. In a recent interview with Next-Gen business, VP of content Roy Taylor voiced his opinion on the matter of gaming graphics and presentation.

"They're talking nonsense," he said of Nintendo assertion that videogame graphics have reached a saturation point. "It's ridiculous sot say that graphics don't matter. That's like saying 'The quality of my TV screen doesn't matter.' Oh really? So then in that case, you can go watch 24 in black-and-white on a seven-inch screen. It's nonsense to say graphics don't matter. I think we can do a lot better, but I think we'd like to see graphics encompassing the gameplay."

During the interview Taylor does state that gameplay can oftentimes play second fiddle to a game's visuals but reiterates that graphics will bring more emotion into software, stating that gamers seldom become as emotionally invested in characters from a videogame as they do in movies

"They're talking nonsense," he said of Nintendo assertion that videogame graphics have reached a saturation point. "It's ridiculous sot say that graphics don't matter. That's like saying 'The quality of my TV screen doesn't matter.' Oh really? So then in that case, you can go watch 24 in black-and-white on a seven-inch screen. It's nonsense to say graphics don't matter. I think we can do a lot better, but I think we'd like to see graphics encompassing the gameplay."
    If you watch 24 at all then YOU dont matter.

i have to agree with the article, can you imaging playing gears of war with ps1 graphics :rofl:

wouldnt be fun, it would be like blockmania :rofl:

A game with good gameplay combinded with exellent graphics rules.

a lot of games though have the flashy graphics and the gameplay is nowhere to be seen.

thats nonsense, I wouldnt waste my money on a HDTV /High Res just to watch 24. Its like saying if theres nothing on TV worth watching, then the quality doesn't matter.

Same is true for video games you knuckle head.

Since they make graphics cards, of course they would say graphics matter.

Plus Nintendo isn't saying graphics don't matter. It's saying graphics are not the most important thing, which is different.

Of course graphics matter, who says it doesn't? I don't know who this person is talking about.

But some time, graphics will reach its limit... then what? That's right, Nintendo will save the gaming industry by doing new innovative things. And Nintendo will put HD graphics etc, just not yet.

Nividia loses money, goes blame nintendo.

DCEmu Regular

His 7" B&W TV remark is missing the point. Nintendo said that graphics are nearing the saturation point. That is, until we take the next big step (true 3d images/ holograms), the graphics we see on our screens will only improve by tiny bits (a few new pixel shaders here, some better texturing there). Mr. Nvidia's comment suggests that nintendo is trying to use technology from 20 years ago (7" B&W).
    Nintendo isn't trying to make us watch "24" on an old tv. they are just saying that "24" on a 50" plasma HDTV is still the same show. Would Gears of War have been all that different a game on Xbox graphics? Not really - the graphics would be blockier, but the awesome fun gameplay would still be present.

Of course, Nvidia only knows graphics, and their rival is the company making the Wii's graphics chip; so we shouldn't treat this guy like he actually is an authority on gaming.

Thread Information