Thread: NeoPopDC News

Blog Entries

Thumbs up NeoPopDC News

GPF has publically said that he is still working on his port of NeoPop the Neogeo Pocket Emulator for the Dreamcast and also this:

"It has sound, just missing DAC sfx (voice to sega start up on sonic , Metal Slug voices) at least thats what iv been told by some beta testers."

Its good to hear its still being worked on and we wish Troy the best of luck with it.

Dream Coder

This was only in response to someone asking, but the person was flaming at the same time so the question was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    This was only in response to someone asking, but the person was flaming at the same time so the question was deleted.
    It's good to hear it's still being worked on but on the other hand it's sad to hear someone flaming at the same time, there'll always be the small minority which expect 100% speed/compatability etc. etc. from every freeware hobbyist release. As long as all the coders out there (including you quazar) realise that all the effort to create and release anything for the good old DC is really appreciated from the real community over here and beyond.

DCEmu Regular

echoes...
    its good that NeoPop is being worked on, and i wish GPF luck and give mad props to him.
    Yeah, it also mega sucks that people would want to chew him or quzar or scherzo or blackaura, or really anybody here, some ninnies always want everytihng all at once.
    I appreciate and my friends appreciate all the keen stuff you coders cook up, it is like a badass private party we were invited to, and you guys and all the goodies keep it going.
    positives all around.

DCEmu Regular

Bump For DC! any news?

NGPSP Author

Anybody know if he improved the cpu core speed?

I question because I am working on the PSP port called ngPsp. The core cpu emulation is very slow and needs work. If he has improved speed in parts then it would be wonderful to talk to him to learn what he has done so i can improve speed on the psp port.

Dream Coder

its not the core that is slow, the processor is actualy a very powerful one. on top of that, the emulator is cycle-accurate, as opposed to frame accurate, so its just a very slow emulator all around. about the only thing that can be done to increase speed would be to change out the current z80 emulator in it for cz80, which at least on the dreamcast did help speed it up a bit.

NGPSP Author

Thanks, I will look into that.

I personaly feel he has a lot of slow code all around. I know the emulator tries to be as accurate as posible but i see a lot of areas where he could have writen things faster (solid example. the memory code does not take into consideration running on a system requiring alligned data and the address look up is just nothing but if statements insted of a cleaned up switch/case setup). There is also some places where he does a long string of math to figure a value then does the same sequence again not that far off.

DCEmu Regular

sounds awesome, can't wait. Let's see your version that would be better for the Dreamcast.

Thread Information