Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: half-life...just so you know...

Default half-life...just so you know...

just so you know, the idea of half-life on psp isn't dead, and seeing how much you jokers are yearning for it, I'm just at the early stages of getting a team together to produce the engine! so all i need is someone who knows about different half-life formats, settings and scripts, and a few porters/coders.
    Or really who ever i can muster!
    if anyones interested in joining inform me -here- tell me what you can contribute and your email address.

what i/we plan to do is create an engine then make a small test file so we don't run into anything elegal.

EDIT: just for people who haven't been here yet, this is off until i can either code or someone volunteers to help me.

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Where are you getting the code base from? Are you creating it from scratch or porting an existing engine?

DCEmu Legend

Without the Half Life source code this will be a tall order. And if you are going to code an engine from scratch, why use the Half Life IP? Why not create an original game, with an original story.

I do love playing the classics on PSP, but the homebrew scene really needs its own, original games, to ensure lasting success. If you can get the HL source code and make a port, by all means. But if you're going to code an engine from scratch, please consider the notion of making an original game.

However, to aid you in your quest, the Half Life engine is, essentially, a hybrid of the Quake and Quake 2 engines. Both of which I believe have sources released and Quake 2 has made its way to the PSP. If McZonk released the source of his work, that may be a good starting point. As far as I am aware the map and model architecture is similar if not the same between Quake 2 and Half Life.

Half life isnt going to be half life without the accurate source code. I've wasted days of my life to it. It's one of those great games thats like pissing on the Mona Lisa if done wrong. Not putting the pressure on or anything ;-)

baby steps people! we gotta make the engine first before we even think about making an original mod! but if we get the engine done I'll try put loads of effort into a game based on the engine. And it would be good to make a game based on the half-life engine because it's nice and flexible and i got a few hundred tools for it. I'm not gonna be doing much coding, as i said I'm gonna be in charge of media, it's what i do best!

And hey i got a perfectly good source code!

So no new games until the engine and test demo are done, and even still I'm waiting for some volunteers to help.

until then I'm gonna make some smash gpsp stuff!

making the engine first, im going to assume its from scratch, why not just work on your own IP and use ideas from HL and make it compaitble with HL formats.

dude. i thought i made it pretty clear that i can't code.
    thats why i need help with it, i said that I'm doing the media and organizing this.

I'll have to see how i can get more people to know what I'm doing.
    this doesn't seem to be attracting many coders/moders/porters.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dark heart View Post
    dude. i thought i made it pretty clear that i can't code.
    thats why i need help with it, i said that I'm doing the media and organizing this.

I'll have to see how i can get more people to know what I'm doing.
    this doesn't seem to be attracting many coders/moders/porters.
    Of course not. There's a reason that all the homebrew is self coded and not run by a team with a non-coding team leader.

hey! maybe they should make a game with just coding alone! wouldn't that be great! no! half of a game is media ok. media makes a very large percent of a game,
    a game doesn't stand alone by media itself.
    i want to help with the test pak and an other mod,
    and i have a lot of tools for doing so.
    but the reason this needs more than one person is because it will most likely need more than one head
    as it is a big task.

also, i never said i was a team leader, someone's got to get it kick started and at the same time people are trying to slow it down, can you please leave it if you don't have anything constructive to say.

I'm still open to those posts that i suggested, game developers welcome!

DCEmu Newbie

Start learning C++, take a look at the LTE Game Engine and you have something to start with.
    Since you have the tools to make models and stuff it should be possible to make a clone of Half-Life.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information