Illegal file-sharing 'inevitable', so small developers should embrace it, says Sean Hogan

An indie developer has chosen to advocate piracy by offering free codes and posting on a torrent site in support of illegal file-sharing.
In a post on Reddit, Sean Hogan said that piracy was inevtaible and that it was better to embrace it, and asked anyone one who downloaded the action-adventure RPG Anodyne to upvote it on Steam Greenlight.

He added that piracy was a way to give people who couldn’t afford the game a chance to play it, and that it was better for indie developers to have more people play their games than less – no matter how they obtained it.
“Piracy is inevitable so it's better to embrace it - plus, it gives lots of people who couldn't normally afford the game the opportunity to play it - and I think when you're a small group of developers (only my friend Jon and I made Anodyne), it's better to have lots of people able to experience your game,” said Hogan.
“We hope enough people will like it and the word will get out, eventually allowing us to get onto Steam, which then lets more people see and play Anodyne.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/4...reenlight-game