Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devhook Firmware Installer: v0.6d

I wonder, is it possible to use devhook in the custom firmwares? just to see how a change in font or something will look without flashing.

isnt it possible to use Dev hook in 3.03 OE-C?

cause i heard u can, if u dump it

I just got location free player running on my PSP, I dumped 3.10 then took the lftv fles, and that was it, cool ha...

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by baracki96 View Post
    I wonder, is it possible to use devhook in the custom firmwares? just to see how a change in font or something will look without flashing.
    yea it works on custom firmware i use to use devhook on 2.71 SE etc it has 1.5 kernal yeah! :thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Logical View Post
    u what? dont judge my name fool and u was saying they dont wanna risk bricking (state the obvious) so that proves my point as in pussys scared to take risks that are 99% success. btw my name doesnt refer 2me it refers 2my rythmes and what i do say for real, what i say on the net is just me fooling mainly from bordom. oh! please consider a name change because that one doesnt suit u thats because u have a pulse lol (eyes roll) damn geeks, in a way im advising any 1.5 users not 2be scared and try custom firmware and u can go baaaaaaaaaaaaack! to 1.5 but is there any point? when custom firmware is joint with 1.5. I know its stupid to argue on the net but ppl prevoke me. can i comment without some $#@! commenting back? i know i said pussy etc im just being stupid but saying something with meaning at the same time its just me.
    Sorry, I didn't realise my opinion would bother you so much.
    Anyway, upgrading to 3.10 OE-A bricked one of my PSP's (I got the blue screen of death when i tried to load the web browser then it wouldn't reboot) but I successfully upgraded my other with no problems. So there is still an element of risk to upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Logical View Post
    pussys scared to take risks that are 99% success
    Meow!

It's not about thinking that the Custom Firmware sucks or anything, it's more about not being able to afford a second PSP if anything goes wrong. And I've read plenty of posts from people who had installed every previous Custom Firmware and were full on confident in the process, only to end up with a brick. Sure, once you get to CF, the benefits are undeniable, but it's an expensive gamble for us poor people, and I think that a 99% success rate is a huge over exaggeration. From the posts I've read, it's probably closer to about 70%.

Maybe in a year from now, I'll be bored with what I can currently do with my PSP and take the plunge to CF, but I'm still having tons of fun with my PSP as it is. And as of right now, there's not much that CF users (at 3.10) can do that I can't do with DevHook 3.03. And the PlayStation emulator isn't really that big of a sell for me.

...So big thanks to Sleepy for updating this! That would be great if Booster kept up his work with DevHook, but I don't think the future looks great for it:
    Quote Originally Posted by DevHook .52 Readme
    During development, there were numerous times with the MS and UMD launching where it would hangup.
    The cause is unknown but, between DualBIOS noise, devhook, devhook launcher, and PSAR Dumper execution, I was frequently forcing the power off and I think that this damaged the flash contents.
    When this condition occurs, normal FW1.50 PSP's are unable to restore on their own, and so for those using this from FW1.50, I recomend using a combination of Dark_Alex's CustomFirmware with recovery mode and a backup of an uncorrupted copy of your NAND Flash.
    Please feel free to use either devhook or CFW at your own risk.

Since FW1.50 has zero virus resistance, you should probably just use HEND or OE.
    Of course, if Booster had never developed DevHook so that you have the option to flash some of the files (DevHook has always worked great from the Memory Stick alone), then I don't think that he'd be having the problems he mentioned, but as it is, I think that he's firmly sold on CF as being the way forward. I hope he'll keep on updating DevHook, but the future doesn't look rosy and I'm not holding my breath.

Off topic but is the success rate for customs firmwares really as low as 70%? And this is following the read me correctly? I have personally downgraded 7 or 8 psp's and then upgraded them all to 3.03OE with no problems whatsoever?

Quote Originally Posted by fistikuffs View Post
    Off topic but is the success rate for customs firmwares really as low as 70%?
    It's speculation, just like Mr_Logical's figure. We'll never know the true number because not everyone who succeeds or fails posts with their experiences. I simply based my speculation off of all of the posts I've read. Yes, a large majority of users reported success, but I've also seen a large number of posts that reported failure. I haven't been keeping precise count, but "70%" feels much closer to reflecting reality than "99%".

It may be, by and large, a safe process, but it's pretty damning when Dark_Alex releases an update which specifically mentions provides a lessened chance of bricking (which he did). It's an admission that there's still a considerable amount of uncertainty in the process. If you can afford to take the risk, right on, I'm happy for you! But I personally don't think it's financially prudent to ever get too comfortable mucking around with your flash on a regular basis.

DCEmu Newbie

this prog. says it doesnt support 3.11...
    and it hanged...
    maybe it doesn't work with 3.11 pbp.

DCEmu Newbie

sorry to post wrong information,
    i needed have 311 folder in dh and i didn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information