Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay news site slams "misinformed" Games Radar article

Blog Entries

General games Gay news site slams "misinformed" Games Radar article

via gamesindustry

Consumer gaming website Games Radar has come under fire from Gay.com UK for publishing an article "outing" five game characters.

The article, which is titled 'Are they gay?', begins by noting that God of War's Kratos "'accidentally' killed his wife and daughter. Which probably means he's got a grudge against women. Or something".

It goes on to suggest that Gears of War's Marcus Fenix, Bully's Jimmy Hopkins, Dead Rising's Frank West and Vaan from Final Fantasy XII also "show signs of covert - and not so covert - campness".

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz Hassan Mirza, news editor for Gay.com, said, "While it's reassuring to know that gamers are interested in the sexual orientation of digital superheroes, Matt Cundy's 'Are they gay?' article relies on a series of juvenile stereotypes and clichés.

"I can't imagine any homophobic intentions, but it can be dangerous to suggest that looking "camp" means gay, or worse, that gay men hold violent grudges against women. It's a completely misinformed suggestion."

Mirza also criticised the part of the article which states: "[Frank West] enjoys dressing in woman's clothes. And children's clothes. Probably not gay per se, but definitely a bit kinky and not one to shy away from carnal 'experimentation'."

According to Mirza, "Cundy's facetious tone, dismissive of an impressionable audience, justifies making jokes about the LGBT community."

The Games Radar article has been featured on gay news site PinkNews.co.uk, which poses the question, "What is the point of "outing" characters? Is this yet another bunch of childish "str8" boys laughing at gay people?"

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, online editor Tony Grew said he was not offended by the piece but did question its objectives.

"I didn't really know what to make of it. I know a lot of gay people play games and feel they're under-represented, and it's interesting that the macho world of games is taking this kind of approach," he observed.

"I'm not insulted by it, but I would question what it's trying to achieve. It will be interesting to see what our readers think of it."

I'm currently taking a sex gender and self class and I would like to note that only 10% of male gays are openly flamboyant and fit the stereotype of the male gay. The other 90% of gay men are indistinguishable from straight men. Though that would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeriastone View Post
    I'm currently taking a sex gender and self class and I would like to note that only 10% of male gays are openly flamboyant and fit the stereotype of the male gay. The other 90% of gay men are indistinguishable from straight men. Though that would be interesting.
    do you need a test to tell you if your gay or not now?

Wow, i cant see how homosexuas would find this offensive . . . . really.

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

DCEmu Regular

I certainly don't find it offensive

DCEmu Newbie

I think that it's interesting that wraggster has posted this when he also wrote that gays were the target audience for the pink psp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Wow, i cant see how homosexuas would find this offensive . . . . really.
    They said in the post they weren't offended by it, they just found it rather juvenile. Which it is.

Duke Nukem has something going on there too I reckon'...

*Cough*

Blog Entries

lmao

DCEmu Regular

Death to all Gays

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information