Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP: R10 plans for daedulus psp

psp PSP: R10 plans for daedulus psp

update on strmnnrmn's blog:

Plans for R10

Now that R9 is finally available, I'm ready to start making plans for R10. Firstly, I really don't want to leave it so long between releases again. The longer I leave between releases, the more hype builds up, and the harder it is to meet people's expectations. I prefer the idea of doing fairly frequent, incremental releases rather than relasing versions with huge sets of changes periodically.

So I'm currently planning to release R10 sometime around the end of March. The question is, what should I focus on?

The areas which clearly need lots of work are speed and compatibility. Unfortunately it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation - if the emulator runs slowly, it doesn't matter if certains roms don't run, because they'd still be unplayable. On the other hand, there's no point in having an ultra-fast emulator if it doesn't run the games people want to play. As I see it, I have to keep working on both of these things - in the long term, it doesn't make sense to concentrate on one and not the other.

I think the best approach is to alternate on work between the two areas. R9 saw significant speed improvements, but almost no progress with compatibility, so I'm currently leaning towards trying to get a few of the more popular titles running. But you're the ones who are going to be using the emulator, so I want to hear your views on what I should work on next.

Please reply to this post with your opinions on what I should work on next. Have a good play with R9 to see what's changed - maybe some things are working better than you expected. Maybe some things are no longer working? Here are a few suggestions:

Speed. Make it faster generally? Is there a specific game that runs slowly which you'd like to see an improvement with?
    Compatibility. Should I work on FlashRAM support? Is there a specific game that doesn't boot, or crashes the emulator? Does your favourite game boot, but then crash when you try to start playing?
    Audio. The audio support is quite new. Are there certain games where it doesn't work? Should I try to improve the audio so it's less choppy?
    Graphics. Maybe your favourite game runs, but there are significant graphical glitches?

Save Games. Save game support is currently 'in' for EEPROM and MemPak based saves, but very flaky. Should I work on improving this so you don't lose your hard-earned progress?
    Savestate. Would it be better for me to implement savestate support, so you can save an resume a game at any point?
    As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to be away all next week, but I'll try to post as many comments as I can before then. When I get back I'll work through the comments and announce what I'm going to concentrate on for R10

-StrmnNrmn

DCEmu Rookie

Default stuff to work on

There would be a few small things, besides compatability, speed, and audio that i'd like fixed.

First, is it possible to allow the psp to go into sleep mode during game play? When I try it, the psp gets messed up and I have to turn it off.

Second, ....i have to go, i'll post later. :P

ok, now that i'm back...

Second, is there any way to play audio, on event or trigger, rather than streaming it with the graphics? I think that would help improve the sound quality a lot...

Third, WIRELESS INFRASTRUCTURE MULTIPLAYER FOR ALL THE GAMES!

Fourth, i'd work on compatability first. Just go through people's compat lists and look at the games most in demand and attempt to get them all unfrozen. Once you do that, you'll have a much easier time coding the rest of the textures and such i believe.

On the other hand, if you work on the speed and sound of the games that work at the moment, you could keep everyone busy while you improve the rest of the games, or maybe the rest of the games won't work with your speedup code for the games that already work!

I have no idea, i don't program emulators

Fifth would be frameskip. At least 2 frameskip would cut down the smooth a little bit and increase the speed. It works very well with SNES and could work well with this too.

Sixth, I see some of my global settings don't get saved, don't know why, but w/e...maybe it's just me...

And Finally, seventh, savestates would be a last resort/project. Heck(ll), the snes savestates dont even work for me and i'm fine with using normal save points. The only bad thing is games without save features...

PS - regarding the rom selection, could you make it so the joystick does nothing, rather than scroll fast, because my joystick is just SLIGHTLY off and it makes it continuously scroll down. like, make the d-pad do the movement: like make a tap be one list item down, and make hold be in place of the joystick

thanks again blasdhfa;sldjf

DCEmu Regular

id like to see more compatibility and speed im not that bothered about sound aslong as i see goldeneye 007 playable im happy lol this sounds like hard work for strmnNrmn but lets see what peoples overall results are for strmnNrmn to work on.

what would be cool, if the n64 emulator could be coded into the PSPs flash0?? or flash1?? files or am i wrong? then convert n64 roms to eboots but then u would need a certain eboot converter like how the psx eboots work. Thinking to far ahead i know just a thought and its prob a big risk resulting to bricking psp lol hey why doesnt strmnNrmn get coding with dark alex?

PSP User

you could release 2 versions: one WITH sound (slower but sound support) and one WITHOUT sound (much faster, no sound). That would be really good.

DS User

Quote Originally Posted by Prasoc View Post
    you could release 2 versions: one WITH sound (slower but sound support) and one WITHOUT sound (much faster, no sound). That would be really good.
    You can disable sound (recommended)
    Golden eye is probably ages away from working.

StrmnNrmn said sound was better the faster the game ran so I think porting the sound into the PSP's ME processor would be great as games would not need the main computer to get the sound going.
    Another thing would be Frame skipping. I skip 3 out of 10 (I think it is based on 10's) on SNES_TYL and it still looks and feels fantastic.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Prasoc View Post
    Good idea but then it will be more work for StrmnNrmn and then maybe a late release or if he does one release of one then one not long after.

DCEmu Legend

Well the audio was a big step and shows real promise with the recent release of R9. I would love to see audio continued to be worked on.

As far as specific games, I would love to see Zelda to continue to show improvements in the same way Mario 64 has. Zelda still seems to have some graphical glitches.

I would say focus on a few games that are obviously in high demand/popularity and try to tweak the Emulator to run those games as perfect as possible and then from there continue to optimize to allow other games to run.

I'd rather have just 1 or 2 games work full speed than have dozens of games work but with glitches or too slow to enjoy.

ide like compatibility to be increased, so i can get into gameplay in super smash bros.... thats all i care for to be honest.

lol

Default more releases

I think you should release more frequent updates - you'll please the patient intelligent users and hopefully lose some of the idiopts who think a new release means full-speed full-compatibilty full-audio mulitiplayability... loving Mario on R9 btw

well the games I really want is bajo tooie, zelda oot, paper mario, donkey kong 64, and thoose ae the ones on my top list

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information