Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony Boss Respects PSP Homebrew

Blog Entries

psp Sony Boss Respects PSP Homebrew

Nice to know that the boss of Sony respects the PSP homebrew scene, heres a tidbit from a recent interview:
    Yesterday, you were asked a question about homebrew development on the PS3, then I steered you onto the PSP. And you said that because the nature of the PSP platform is that it is more closed, and that you didn't feel that it was as appropriate. Your answer made me wonder, is that driven more by corporate goals and the piracy situation? Because when I look at the homebrew community and what they're doing, it's not massive, but there is a sizable number of people that are passionate about experimenting on the PSP.

Yes. It's always difficult, because officially, we could never condone it. Unofficially, I am always very admiring of those people, because they do some really interesting things under very technically complex circumstances. If there was a way to legitimize that--we wouldn't get all of the community, because for some people, the whole dark under the radar element is the appeal. I respect that. I don't like it, but I respect it.

So the last question is a two-parter on PSP and homebrew. Could the PS3 potentially become the homebrew development environment--at the appropriate time, when it makes sense with the value chain that you talked about? An official homebrew development environment.

For the PSP?

Yeah.

That's a very interesting question. Technically, no reason why it couldn't at all. It would only be a business policy issue. In a development environment, the PSP as a standalone hardware is not sufficient to write games on it. You can't plug a keyboard and just get on with it. But as a host environment, the PS3 would be perfect.

Interesting eh

DCEmu Legend

Well, the guy has a point.

If the homebrew scene wasn't such an elite underground sort of community I think it would lose its widespread appeal. And in retrospect, I doubt the scene would have blossomed at the lightspeed rate that it did if SONY from the start said, "its okay, do what you want".

So things worked out good for both parties.

I like the fact that a Sony head is respecting and giving some acknologment to the homebrew scene.

The aspect that gets me angry however is that Sony denies that the PSP is a "home dev" compatible device. The PSP has one of the best homebrew scenes and if Sony stopped to look they would see that homebrew dev's have done some really impressive things for the PSP.

It's good that someone who works for Sony at least respects the scene.

Yaaa Sony It Looks Like You Might Not Burn In The Pits Of Gaming Hell After All Lol!

It would be cool if they do something like microsoft did for the homebrew games...

Really interesting btw

RIP: Agapito Elber Gudo.
    RIP: Rosa Melano
    Chema! Te lo lavas!
    Have a nice day! lmao

He MUST respect the scene.

yeah he said he doesnt like it but must respect it, since he can't do nothing bout it

Hmm, although I never HATED sony, the constant firmware updates make me dislike them. I disliked them a little less after reading this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information